Cat bite wound infected: what to do - what not to do

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone.
I hope this is the right forum section. I saw similar threads here but still I'd like to ask about a specific situation:
My boyfriend got bitten by minish quite deep on his first knuckle of his index finger. Single tooth pinch. We were away from the city so we couldn't clean and dress properly until next day. When we returned it was quite late, it got infected. It was swollen and hot, half of his finger and part of his hand.
I had heard it was dangerous and was concerned a lot. He said "let's see how it goes before rushing to emergency"
This was yesterday evening. We used antibiotic cream twice a day and lightly covered it. In about 12 hours the wound oozed itself, the swelling diminished and it hurts less.
Are we doing the right thing? What else do you recommend? Is it OK not to visit a doctor?
And if such a thing happens in the future, should we squeeze the wound to bleed it or just do surface disinfection?

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At the zoo we used to have a bottle of hydro peroxide handy for minor bites to kill the bacteria or if away from the public area an alcohol bath in the reptile area. I still use the peroxide now for bites or scratches and been fine so far..
Bites can infect rapidly as you have found out ..keep an eye on it and if any red lines running up the hand or wrist get to docs real quick. I would have gone to the doctors at first sign of infection as some people are more prone to infection and blood poisioning than others.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If there is spreading redness or redness following a vein, you need to see a doctor now.

I would seriously consider it anyways because cat bites can turn nasty. My grandmother was hospitalized for a month because of a bite but she was elderly. If it was me and I couldn't see a doctor my non medical professional opinion based on past wound care is:

* switch to Vaseline to cover the wound, its what I've been told to use on wounds the last few times I've had anything requiring home redressing.
* hold a warm cloth soaked in salt water against the wound for 15 minutes, 3-4 times a day (more is better). Change clothe or re wet the cloth in the water when it become soiled or cools.
* pat dry with gentle pressure. If the wound is weeping, hold a warm cloth over it and wipe any drainage, repeat until it just bleeds.
* apply a light layer of Vaseline over the wound and bandage. If a scab forms do not pick it if the wound is clean, if the wound is still draining remove the scab gently to allow drainage.
* hydrogen peroxide is bad for healing skin so don't use it.

You have to be careful squeezing wounds to bleed them because you can push the infection deeper. Using warm cloth to bring it to the surface is safer when possible. I would really go to the doctor though with cat bites as soon as possible. And even now for his situation even if it is look better to you I would see a doctor. If it gets worse again it is a lot easier to get prompt treatment if you already saw a doctor (the doctors won't question that you did something wrong or that you should try something basic).

Puncture wounds in general can get nasty fast without proper treatment. My brothers ex had to have surgery nearly two months after a dog bite because infection got trapped deep under the surface (and she didn't clean it properly or take her full antobiotics) but it can take a while for those deep infections to be noticeable. Worst case, you never realize you have a deep infection and it spreads. Bes case, you figure it out before it spreads.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone.
I hope this is the right forum section. I saw similar threads here but still I'd like to ask about a specific situation:
My boyfriend got bitten by minish quite deep on his first knuckle of his index finger. Single tooth pinch. We were away from the city so we couldn't clean and dress properly until next day. When we returned it was quite late, it got infected. It was swollen and hot, half of his finger and part of his hand.
I had heard it was dangerous and was concerned a lot. He said "let's see how it goes before rushing to emergency"
This was yesterday evening. We used antibiotic cream twice a day and lightly covered it. In about 12 hours the wound oozed itself, the swelling diminished and it hurts less.
Are we doing the right thing? What else do you recommend? Is it OK not to visit a doctor?
And if such a thing happens in the future, should we squeeze the wound to bleed it or just do surface disinfection?
best to visit the doc lots of times men(myself included) brush of concerns etc. of our ladies who love us only to end up having a bigger health issue :lol:i speak from experience.i had a stroke months later after brushing off my girlfriends concerns about not refilling my blood pressure meds.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He won't like this, but you need to track the swelling CLOSELY. Outline it with a sharpie. Give it 24 hours, and if it has not diminished, GO TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM! Cat bites can be the very dickens to deal with.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would go get antibiotics. Any wound to the hand is more susceptible to infection then wounds to other parts of the body because they tend to have more germs on them that are carried into the body by a puncture wound. The cats mouth like any other animal's mouth also carries bacteria. The small puncture wounds created by a cat's teeth don't bleed enough to clean the bacteria out of the wound.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FIRST OF ALL, SEEING A DR. IS THE BEST THING TO DO. If the swelling is any better it may be on the track to healing. Bites take a long time and can look nasty in the beginning. i got so many for a while while trapping kittens that I treated them myself. First, pour on the hydrogen peroxide and let it bubble, one time, two if it is nasty, then no more. The above poster was right when they said peroxide is not good for healing, it is good for initial cleaning. apply antibiotic salve and cover light with tape and gauze. Let it air dry at night. Cats can have a toxin in their mouths, my Chrissy had it and bit me deep when a dog came rushing up. My whole arm swelled up huge. It healed on it's own but i probably should have went in. That is where they get "Cat Scratch Fever" it is a real thing. Right now monitor him and check for fever, if he gets one, get to the Dr. for antibiotics. I know how men are about going to the Dr. Going would be the smartest thing to do, if it isn't getting any better in a few days get there.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am with everyone telling you a doctor should be seen. I was bitten by my Tara during a vet appointment. I ended up with cat scratch fever. It was awful!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. I told him everything conveyed or recommended here. He is firm on not going to the doctors. In the meantime the swelling reduced, no red veins, he can move his finger and no pain in the joint. No fever. No fatigue. Of course he kept remarking how wonderful he is at healing on his own.. I will keep checking of course and we keep dressing lightly with antibiotic salve.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I let any bite that draws blood bleed for a bit. Then I wash it with soap and water and apply antibiotic ointment.

At the first sign of swelling or redness though I always see a doctor for antibiotics. I soak in hot water or apply hot wet cloths several times a day so that the wound opens and has an opportunity to drain.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Why, OH WHY, are men like that? My ex nearly lost a finger because he was "so good at natural healing, it's gonna get better!"