Cat Being Possessive? And Dog Boosting Cat Confidence?

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi so as you guys know i rescued and adopted eight cats in 2017. We also have two dogs a 6 year old Pit mix Ryder and 5 year old Boxer mix Brady (today his birthday).

I have two cat's i have questions about and i hope you guys can help me. First i want to say the two dogs have had limited access to the cats only because the boys can get to excited and are big dogs. We just wanted to give the kittens time to get bigger and for everyone to adjust in a calm relaxed place. Now on to the questions.

Ami (1yo oldest of the kittens) has takening to being Aggressive towards Brady. She trapped him down the hall twice. Today she actually fluffed up and made a couple of lunges at him even stalking him. Now did push her limits by trying to sniff her he left he after a hiss and swipe. Ami however kept going after him even though he now was ignoring her. She got real upset when he jump up with my dad who become her person. Like she was in the window ignoring everyone and Brady had been laying by my chair until he went to lay with my dad. Ami start stocking Brady again. She is the only cat doing this towards him. She normally like her dad wanting no part of rough houseing or disputes just very calm so its quiet surprising for her to be this aggressive. If she was a dog i'd say she was showing that she was the more dominant animal but i'm not positive if thats how it works with cats. I mean i know Ally is the Dominant/ Queen of the house and no body challenges her. She rules with a heavy paw but aside from Sam and Ace getting to big for their umm fur there not really been any clear dominance. So i just don't know why Ami decided to pick on Brady.

Talia (estimated to be 5yo) She confuses me on the one hand she very bossy not afraid to hiss growl or take a swipe at you. Then on the other hand she gets afraid with the other cats around her. Normally she just runs off when they get to close and she on the ground or she gets aggressive if they come up into furniture with us and she up there to. It's like she completely confident with humans but timed around the cats. Even though the cats have free run of the home Talia rarely leave the livingroom. She doesn't hide from us (outside of cats liking to hide lol) she comes straight to me when im in the livingroom. She just doesn't want to explore the whole house like the others do granted the livingroom has lots of things to do. Is this normal for some cats to not explore?

Another thing is Brady seems to have given a confidence boost. Every since she stood her ground over a tasty treat and he didn't do anything and later when he startled her and she reacted by swating him across the face and nothing happened. She started to stand her ground with the other cats and not running away from them. Even leting the calmer ones lay close to her. When Brady is in the livingroom she seems to get on the ground more. Its like she thinking he a lot bigger then her and he doesn't chase her or get aggressive with her. so why is she letting the other cats?

Funny thing is Brady is actually a very dominant dog but isn't with the cats he just submissive with them.

Please ask any questions im writing this half asleep right now and know it may need clarified a bit but i really want to get advice on this so ask your question and thank you for any advice

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats if they are frightened and can get away, will. But there are some cats that go on the attack rather than run and hide. Your cat sounds bold, confident and one of these cats that doesn’t back down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Most cats if they are frightened and can get away, will. But there are some cats that go on the attack rather than run and hide. Your cat sounds bold, confident and one of these cats that doesn’t back down.
Ami always been our wild child and free spirt. She very much that independent do her own thing. I've just never seen her not let something drop like her first action with her sisters brother and Sierra is to play gently but once they start to get to rough she pulls away only getting aggressive when they don't stop. Today was the first time i'd seen her be the one to keep pushing. Yes Brady started it and needs to learn boundaries which is why i didn't correct Ami which is short for Amelia-Earhart. It just concerned me that she kept after him and got upset when he went near my dad. Guess its something ill keep an eye on.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she is frightened, rather than jealous of the dog and may have been trying to protect your dad from him.