Cat being mean to new cat

clara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
  We are fostering,and hoping to adopt,a sweet shy cat named BeBe. We had her isolated in the guest room for a week and let her roam a week ago. She now spends most of her time under the bed,in a closet or in her cat house(with nightly snuggle visits) Everything was okay until Friday night when we heard awful noises from the bedroom. Ran up and found BeBe and one of our other cats(we have 4 besides BeBe)Isabella on the bed.Both jumped down with BeBe going back under the bed. Then last night I was awakened by a noise and what sounded like Izzy chasing BeBe up the stairs and back under the bed.

I'm not sure where to go from here.I'm looking into the Spirit Essences.Should we isolate BeBe for longer? I don't want Izzy to be resentful she can't get in the bedroom. I'll also rub a towel on BeBe and then Izzy. Any other suggestions?  Thanks!   Karen

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, sometimes a week isn't enough time.  Another thing, sometimes it can take cats a month or more to get used to and accept eachother.  Let them work it out with you monitoring to make sure no severe fights happen.  Expect hissing, slapping and growling.  Your resident kitty isn't used to this new one in her territory and she's letting her know she is the boss here. 

Put her in isolation while you are out of the house or sleeping  for sure.  Make sure you are monitoring all interaction.  Reward Izzy for every good interaction (no chasing, slapping, hissing).  This will go a long way in helping her accept the Bebe faster.  Spend plenty of time cuddling one on one with Izzy too to reassure her. 

It'll all work out, just give it time.  People get anxious because kitties aren't friends right away.  It just takes them time. 

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are a couple of articles and threads that may help you work through your introduction process. I agree that 1 week may not be long enough. I've had cats adopt immediately and others that have taken months to integrate. Every cat is different and every situation is different. Find the right mix of things to do to smooth introductions out.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/67321/introducing-a-new-cat-to-your-old-cat

I particularly like the scent swap techniques discussed in these threads. Vanilla extract (the real stuff, not imitation) works remarkably well.

maureenl128

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am going through a similar situation. My 2 resident cats are Max and Missy. I have been trying to introduce the newcomer, Riley, for about 2 months now. They can all sleep in the same room suring the day and I supervise them. But at night we have been trying to let them all just do their own thing. Max has been getting along great with Riley, who goes outside. My other 2 do not. Missy on the other hand is not liking this. She has been stalking him wherever he goes and he just backs down to her. She has chased him a few times now and will swat at him and yell and meow. Is it just a conincidence that my feliway diffuser ran out a couple days ago? I feel like things have gotten worse with Missy in the past few days. I have also looked into Spirit Essences and am considering getting it. I will try anything for her to calm down. Any suggestions??? Help!! 

maureenl128

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It seems like all of the sudden she turned on him. And when we try to stop her from going after him, she kisses and swats at us. I will be getting more Feliway tomorrow. I am getting tired of playing kitty cop all day long. I have 2 diffusers and plan to get them going at the same time.