Cat behavioural changes over time

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I'm just looking for some sort of ideas as to what's going on here. My family has two cats. Litter mates. They're 10 years old now. One of the cats Teela has always been timid and kept to herself. Easily startled and isn't so much of a cuddly cat, only on her terms.

In the past two years or so she's changed. She is still quite playful and friendly with my mum, comes up to her all the time, but as soon as her brother comes up or even in the room, she goes away. He is very needy and attention seeking and I don't live in the house anymore but I've noticed and I'm told they fight an awful lot more than they used to. When I loved in the house she was all over me, trusted me. I didn't go to her or bother her when she didn't want it, I was patient and my room was a solace for her. It took her a long time to forgive me after I moved out. She wouldn't talk to me for ages, would ignore me and refuse to come near me for a few months after I moved out. I felt terrible I couldn't take her with me.

Anyway, she's become more aggressive lately. She's been to the vet and the vets given her s clean bill of health so I know she's not hurting in any way. She'll let you clap her but often decides it's too much for her by scratching. She didn't scratch before at all and I'm not sure what's making her feel like she needs to do that now. She seems less toerant of attention and wants to keep to herself these days. She's also a torie with ginger and white in her too. Is it just she's getting older or could something have happened to make her change? I don't see her as often but we used to be best buddies and now she'll barely let anybody come near her. Often you're clapping her or scratching her head where she loves and she just turns.

I'd really appreciate some advice on this.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I could be due to changes related to age, but I am also curious to know what kind of tests were run when she was last seen by the vet. At her age a full senior blood panel which includes both CBC and Chemistry Profile are warranted. Enzyme and chemical imbalances can only be detected through the Chemistry Profile, so if that has not been done it is certainly worth it. Those tests should also be done on her brother, again if for no other reason than age.

I don't know what you mean by 'clapping' and am not sure if the 'scratching' is on her own body or at people. Explaining what you mean by both of these might also help members come up with some ideas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I could be due to changes related to age, but I am also curious to know what kind of tests were run when she was last seen by the vet. At her age a full senior blood panel which includes both CBC and Chemistry Profile are warranted. Enzyme and chemical imbalances can only be detected through the Chemistry Profile, so if that has not been done it is certainly worth it. Those tests should also be done on her brother, again if for no other reason than age.

I don't know what you mean by 'clapping' and am not sure if the 'scratching' is on her own body or at people. Explaining what you mean by both of these might also help members come up with some ideas.
Ahh I apologise, 'clapping' must be a regional Term. It means petting. She scratches people. I'm never able to see any warning that it gets too much for her as she does approach people for petting and such so I know she enjoys it.

I'm not entirely sure what tests have been done, as I don't live in the home anymore. She's my mum's cat.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the clarification! I kind of figured that, but you never know... ;) Find out what tests were done. I am telling you the Chemistry Profile can identify issues that may not be obvious otherwise! Being somewhat reclusive and easily agitated could mean a few things, but the first thing to rule out is a health issue, particularly in senior cats.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner that there are things that a vet exam may not show. A senior blood panel would show some of those, but its over $300 here, so I understand not doing that if the vet says the cat seems healthy. But even with a vet exam, a blood panel, and you noticing she seems normally active, it could still be something like arthritis because cats dont always show pain, or give into pain to restrict their activities -- instead they get crotchety.

It could also be that she is just getting less active or even less active normally with aging, and the other cat coming over to play, even if its rare, is just something she no longer wants or accepts. It doesn't take much for a senior cat to become the crotchety neighbor that yells at the kids to stay off his lawn

Try paying attention when you pet her. It may be that only certain spots/methods are now ok, and doing it the way you used to is no longer acceptable. This doesn't even have to be anything medical -- cats can just be picky out that. I had a cat that was literally impossible to pet while doing something else, because too much attention to the task was required.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
At about 8yrs Yoshi started playing less and became more cuddly. I thought it was just aging but later that yr he had some limping. It was arthritis, he was hiding his pain until he couldn't. I started Giving him . There are a lot of products with the same ingredients and I'm sure something is available in your country. I like a liquid that I can drop into wet food. It took about a wk to take effect. He's 13 now. I also give it to my 11yr old.

If your Moms vet did bloodwork and found nothing my first thought would be she's hiding pain. My second thought, and it could be both, is related the her brother. If he's more needy as he gets older thenshe is getting less attention. Then when she gets attention she's more easily over stimulated. I'd suggest your Mom schedule time to pay attention to her. Maybe set a reminder on her phone to pet girl kitty every hr. Some sweet talk and a few pets.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My first thought is perhaps she has arthritis. Maybe petting hurts her. A friend's senior cat can now only handle petting on her head between her ears.