Cat Behaviour And Eating????

ShaniaMarieRose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good Morning,

I have a 1 year old kitten - we rescued him so I am a little unsure of his breed. We are convinced he is a Burmese cross. He recently has stopped eating his adult food in which we have never had problems with before until we got the bulk bag. It's Whiskas indoor andwe have used it before in small bags but once we got a large bag he stopped eating it. We then gave him some of the kitten food we had leftover and he prefers that over the other food and we can't seem to figure out why.

Also, he has been a lot more vocal as soon as we get home. I am not sure if it's because he is lonely or for other reason. He is healthy, sleeping normal, playing, eating (baby food). Just very loud.

Lastly, his urine has increased in odor - it's more acidic than normal. Any thoughts on that?

I would rather see if anyone has some advice before we resort going to the vet as it's very pricey where I am.

Thank you.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he getting any canned food? That might solve it. Decrease the dry food.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Agree - more wet and less dry. The extra wet food will help to dilute his urine. And, make sure he is drinking adequately as well. Instead of one water dish, maybe two? Perhaps, a water fountain?

The more vocal behavior could be related to him being hungry? If he is on a feeding schedule, try using wet then, and just leave out some dry for the rest of the time. The wet foods will help fill him up better, but I would still have dry available outside of his wet meals just in case he is a bit hungry.

Also, the larger bag of dry food might be getting stale - just because it takes a longer time to get through and because it is being exposed to air all the time when you are opening/closing it to get food out. I have noticed that my Feeby eats her dry food much better when it is a new bag that has just been opened. Now, I take some out of the bag and place it in a plastic container with a tight lid. Then, I take the bag, squeeze all the air out of it before I seal it. Then, repeat each time the plastic container needs refilled.

slide95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some wet foods,particulary the cheap stuff & even Whiskas,Kit E Kat..,have an effect on a cat almost like a sugar rush in humans making them hyper after eating & they sort of zone out after the rush has worn off.I've noticed this in both Orbit & Daisy.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He loves canned food - but a relative told me to only give it as a treat. Is it okay to give him a diet of mostly canned and occasionally some dry?
Your relative is incorrect. Wet food is healthier for cats! I do wet breakfast and dinner and leave some dry when I'm at work.