Cat Behavior

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I need help integrating my cats. I have two ten year old male resident cats, and found two male kittens that I am trying desperately to keep. I also just moved so that did not help matters. They have been together for two months already, and things are just not progressing. The one resident male just has nothing to do with the kittens, and if they get near him he just hisses and swats. the other resident male was doing ok, but now has started being more intolerant and chasing his tail to the point he has to be on meds. no one has hurt anyone else, but it is so stressful, i'm not sure if it is time to give up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Separate them and start over. The move may have wiped out whatever progress you made before the move.
They actually met in the new house. We had the kittens at a different house for about a month because they were sick but after they were well brought them to new house. We did all the slow introductions etc but nothing is working

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd start over and go even more slowly this time.
thanks. its so hard now, cause the little ones have had a taste of the entire house they bang on the basement door to come up. thankfully, we have a fairly large basement that they have the run of. do you think I can let them up, under supervision? My husband is really good at this, and gets less stressed out then me, but because of his job he will not be living with us full time until middle of January. The kitties know each others smells etc, obviously, so do you mean just keep them separate with small shorter interactions. The kittens are only five months and have so much energy, which is what i think is freaking out the older boys.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old are the kittens? Some older cats HATE kittens until they reach adult size/about 6 months old. I would separate them & try re-introducing them. I would also lock up the 2 older cats in the master bedroom (with food & litter) for half the day or every other day.... then let the kittens have run of the house for that time. Just be sure to split your at home time with them. I would also try to wear the kittens out with play before trying to let them get supervised time with the other cats.... when you get to that stage.

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks. its so hard now, cause the little ones have had a taste of the entire house they bang on the basement door to come up. thankfully, we have a fairly large basement that they have the run of. do you think I can let them up, under supervision? My husband is really good at this, and gets less stressed out then me, but because of his job he will not be living with us full time until middle of January. The kitties know each others smells etc, obviously, so do you mean just keep them separate with small shorter interactions. The kittens are only five months and have so much energy, which is what i think is freaking out the older boys.
I agree with danteshuman. Split their time. When one group is locked up, the others have the run of the house. Don't let them interact in any way for awhile. Just remember that your older cats were there first. It's their territory and the kittens are the intruders as far as they're concerned.

This can take awhile. As danteshuman says, some older cats can't stand kittens and for good reason. And your older cats are male. That makes a difference.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How old are the kittens? Some older cats HATE kittens until they reach adult size/about 6 months old. I would separate them & try re-introducing them. I would also lock up the 2 older cats in the master bedroom (with food & litter) for half the day or every other day.... then let the kittens have run of the house for that time. Just be sure to split your at home time with them. I would also try to wear the kittens out with play before trying to let them get supervised time with the other cats.... when you get to that stage.
the kittens are almost six months which is the guess. (I found them in the woods). they are being neutered next week so maybe that will slow them down a little. Usually when the Kittens are let up, at least the one older cat just stays upstairs in the bedroom anyway, unless he is hungry. The other resident cat was doing ok, and sometimes was even playing with them, but seems more agitated by them. My husband lets them out all the time together when he is there, and I think you're right, it was too much for them right now. I know I kind of freak out when there is even the slightest hiss, so my reaction probably doesn't help. I will take your advice and just let them up when I am home for short periods. I was somewhat concerned that keeping them apart longer might take back any progress that has been made, but if others think it is ok, I'm in!