Cat Behavior Is Out Of Control!

Kat0987

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve had my tabby for almost 9 years! (See baby picture and adult below!)
I love him so very much, but he has always had behavior problems and in particular, he is extremely aggressive with his biting. To give you a back story he was from a feral cat family and I found him when he was very young. Something had attacked him so I got him to a vet and then adopted him. I also had Bent neutered and declawed in the front, which I regret doing because I think that caused additional biting habits.

I’ve lived in high rises for a while and just recently bought a house with a fenced in yard and Bentley jumped at the chance to go outside and he loves it! I tire him out as much as I can throwing a ball and letting him run around (I think he may be a dog). However when it’s time to come in he refuses and I end up having to physically bring him in and he usually bites me hard and follows me around the house trying to launch and bite my leg. When I come home from work he sits by the door and if I don’t let him out right away he starts attacking me. This isn’t really new behavior he has attacked me our entire life together, definitely has feral instincts but I’ve worked with him and realized not to pick him up and do things on his terms. This is a cat that sleeps on my face and purrs at night but literally is a demon when he doesn’t get his way. I’m at a loss with what to do, because he’s not attacking anyone else in my family, just me and the other day as I was walking to bed he jumped up and bit me in the arm and continued to try and attack me. If he wasn’t declawed at this point I would get a doggy door and let him be an outdoor cat. I’m at a loss, it’s tough I’ve put so much effort into making him happy and well taken care of, but his wild side is too much sometimes.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is it possible to build an enclosed catio in your yard so your cat can go in and out as he pleases? You can attach the catio to the house in some way, say through a window and an enclosed walkway leading to the catio if you prefer the catio not be right next to the house.

I think there might be some tips here to prevent aggression towards you: Cat Aggression Toward People

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
I end up having to physically bring him in and he usually bites me hard and follows me around the house trying to launch and bite my leg.
Try a loud HISS. Also keep an eye out for the signs noted in the article above - when you see those you need to immediately distract him. Throw your jangly noisy keys on the floor, have a can half full of coins and shake it hard. These things need to be consistently repeated and it won't happen immediately, but you should see improved behavior.

Regarding getting him back in the house, can you develop a habit of shaking a treat bag while he's inside, and then entice him from outside with the noise of the bag?