Cat Behavior Consultant

JavierG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just curious if anyone has ever used a Behavior consultant to help with Cat behavior issues?

Was it worth it?

I have been trying to work through integrating our new Kitten with our reluctant and unappreciative resident cat, and have received much good feedback here, but of course no one here is actually at my house to see firsthand what is happening. So came across this persons name in my searches for info. Spoke with them, and it seemed pricey. My first instinct is it would offer comfort in thinking I now have a “expert” to help. But in reality this person would come once and offer a roadmap of what to do.

which I sort of feel I have a general idea by now. On the other hand someone with experience could maybe offer a better way to approach it and offer more chance of success, faster.

but was wondering if anyone here ever used one and did you find it of benefit?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JavierG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You might want to check out some of the Jackson Galaxy videos on You Tube. He is a renowned cat behaviorist who has experience with solving myriad cat behavior issues.

https://m.youtube.com/@JacksonGalaxy/featured
Thank You, I had seen his videos early on, but now that have some issues looked again and paid better attention. The videos are pretty good and informative.
Thanks

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
When we adopted our previous cat she had a lot of behavior issues. Fortunately they had a behaviorist who I promptly called. She had some helpful suggestions and it didn't cost me a thing. I don't know if you adopted your cat but do you have a local shelter you can call to ask if they have a behaviorist on staff? It's worth a try. This was also when I joined TCS. The support and knowledge of members here was extremely beneficial.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our rescue uses a cat behaviorist who works free of charge. She has helped. Did you get your kitten from a rescue? If so, I would start with a call to the rescue.

JavierG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the responses. Our SPCA offers similar support with a behavioralist, they even gave me a card of a person at time of adoption. I have called twice, get voicemail and no response. Last Friday I called the shelter main line, the person took notes and said she will pass it on and they will call me back. Haven’t heard from them.
Fortunately for me in my case I think the biggest problem is my own ignorance and I know I made mistakes with introduction(ie too fast, left kitten and cat on own to figure it out etc). I have learned much through this sight and forums, and have since watched many Jackson galaxy videos and articles. So at least know what I did wrong.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry you did not get a reply from the SPCA but glad you joined the site and came here to ask questions. Please don't feel guilty for introducing the kitten and cat too soon since we all look back at our mistakes. What's important is that you're trying to fix the introductions now. :thumbsup: I don't know if you saw this TCS Article but I thought it might have some helpful information for you:
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat [A Guide] - TheCatSite

Please keep us updated on their progress and feel free to post a pic since we love photos. :camera:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for the responses. Our SPCA offers similar support with a behavioralist, they even gave me a card of a person at time of adoption. I have called twice, get voicemail and no response. Last Friday I called the shelter main line, the person took notes and said she will pass it on and they will call me back. Haven’t heard from them.
Fortunately for me in my case I think the biggest problem is my own ignorance and I know I made mistakes with introduction(ie too fast, left kitten and cat on own to figure it out etc). I have learned much through this sight and forums, and have since watched many Jackson galaxy videos and articles. So at least know what I did wrong.
If you don't hear back, it might be worth contacting OTHER rescues (call is best usually) in the area. Rescues are usually egar to help keep a cat in a home by offering out info to behaviourists.

JavierG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you don't hear back, it might be worth contacting OTHER rescues (call is best usually) in the area. Rescues are usually egar to help keep a cat in a home by offering out info to behaviourists.
Ironically just about 2 hours ago they did call. Spoke to this man who pretty much confirmed what I’m doing and that I need to just give it time and go slowly. Was helpful in at least to reconfirm the approach I am taking, but honestly nothing new from what I heard or read in these forums