Cat Bed Ideas?

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
For some reason Daisy seems to love sleeping in my closet more than the bed. Silly cat. So now I am thinking about buying a cat bed to put in there. I have a walk-in closet. The clearance below its bottom shelves, which are ~22 inches long, is 15 inches and change. What kind of bed should I get for her, or would it be a waste of money to buy anything?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just maybe put a soft blanket where she usually sleeps to make it comfier. I learned a long time ago that cat beds are a waste of money (usually) - my cats never seem to prefer them.

socaffeinated

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haha agree with the user above!

I bought the Meowfia Premium Felt Cat Cave Bed and K&H Pet Products Thermo-Kitty Cat Bed. Almost 100 bucks spent and my kitten won't use them! She shares my bed at night and during the daytime prefers a cardboard box that came with my Chewy order.

I am pleased with the quality of the aforementioned products though.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only beds that have been guaranteed favorites here have been heated ones. Otherwise both love the inexpensive fleece throws from Walmart that I got to cover their favorite sleeping spots. Noodles also had a baby blanket inside a cardboard box she was fond of. Right now her favorite spot is in her kennel.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
The only beds that have been guaranteed favorites here have been heated ones. Otherwise both love the inexpensive fleece throws from Walmart that I got to cover their favorite sleeping spots. Noodles also had a baby blanket inside a cardboard box she was fond of. Right now her favorite spot is in her kennel.
Fleece baby blankets are the best. They also work as fun tackling toys for kittens that want to scrap with something.

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try out stuff you have at home already--blankets as mentioned already, a fairly flat pillow, maybe a cut-off side cardboard box?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat loves her bed. The only problem is she's got so big, she attacks my Beagle and runs him off his bed so she can have it. I was thinking of getting her a heated bed for those cold snowy winter nights.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I concur that starting out with a homemade nest is a good idea. If you find something that works for Daisy you can upgrade.

We bought Gohan a heated cat bed from K&H and he absolutely loves it. He doesn't ever sleep on the bed, he likes to be in the room on a soft elevated surface like a dresser or bookshelf. He also gets cold at night and will stand in front of the heater waiting for it to turn on or wake us up being angsty. It was the best purchase we made for him, and it was on sale for $40 (I would not have bought it at the $120 price). You can see the rejected blanket nest we made him before the bed. Plus I think he looks so cute on his leopard throne!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Karen, my last cat had the unheated version of that bed in a different color pattern. I replaced it with a circular bed so she could sleep any direction.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
I think Gohan likes the cave part. Plus it actually unzips, so I can take it off and turn it into an (almost) circular bed!

Did you last cat like the unheated version? Gohan seems to love this one.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For some reason Daisy seems to love sleeping in my closet more than the bed. Silly cat. So now I am thinking about buying a cat bed to put in there. I have a walk-in closet. The clearance below its bottom shelves, which are ~22 inches long, is 15 inches and change. What kind of bed should I get for her, or would it be a waste of money to buy anything?
Just buy a laundry basket that will fit and fill it half full with dirty clothes. Your cat would tell you that it is the best cat bed ever. When people start asking what happened to such and such shirt, just swap them out with more dirty stuff. Oh, you may have to dry them twice to get most of the cat hair out and remember to clean the dryer filter a lot.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
Just buy a laundry basket that will fit and fill it half full with dirty clothes.
Actually, you will get way better results with clean clothes. Cat's especially love it if their fur will contrast nicely with the color of the clothing, so filling it with black clothes will increase Daisy's happiness. What also helps is recently washing a surface and having it spotless and shiny. Cats especially like to walk over it just after using the litterbox so that their dusty paws make a nice impression on the house guests.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I concur that starting out with a homemade nest is a good idea. If you find something that works for Daisy you can upgrade.

We bought Gohan a heated cat bed from K&H and he absolutely loves it. He doesn't ever sleep on the bed, he likes to be in the room on a soft elevated surface like a dresser or bookshelf. He also gets cold at night and will stand in front of the heater waiting for it to turn on or wake us up being angsty. It was the best purchase we made for him, and it was on sale for $40 (I would not have bought it at the $120 price). You can see the rejected blanket nest we made him before the bed. Plus I think he looks so cute on his leopard throne!

Both our heated beds are K&H brand. Mooch likes it year round but I don't keep it plugged in in the warmer months. I got it when Noodles had licked her belly bare a few years ago. My mother has a smaller version of this one for her 2. One of her cats will literally shiver in the winter. I watch Amazon for price drops; they are great beds! I just wish I could revive Mooch's. It's gotten flat from use.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Daisy certainly does not need a heated bed down here.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks kalebkat kalebkat ! We like him.

Daisy6 Daisy6 probably doesn’t get very cold in Florida, huh? Let us know what you decide to do in the closet and how Daisy likes it!