Cat Becoming Very Talkative

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's me doing the overthinking again :D Marx is now a bit over 8 months old and in the past month or so he has become very talkative.

Before that, the only time you would hear him meow was when he came for cuddles (and while having a bath, but that's another thing). Now he still meows for cuddles, but way louder and more demanding. Once you put him in the lap, he still keeps "talking" for a while before he settles down.

He also started meowing at the bedroom door in the morning, and sometimes in the evening too (when we go to bed). He never slept in the bedroom with us, mainly because he doesn't sleep at night and wouldn't let us sleep as well, but he never meowed at the door before.

Since I stopped giving him dry food he's been crying for food as well, but that I get. For the rest, I'm a bit concerned that he might be in pain and trying to communicate it?

Otherwise he seems fine, he eats more then ever (since I took the dry away), is playful and active. He's neutered and a BSH which aren't that talkative cats as far as I know :D

Do you think it's something serious or is he just being a demanding little attention seeker?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Since I stopped giving him dry food he's been crying for food as well, but that I get.
He is eating a lot, but is he eating as much as he can consume? Is there any food left on the plate?
Did the increased meowing start with the elimination of dry food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!

He is eating a lot, but is he eating as much as he can consume? Is there any food left on the plate?
Did the increased meowing start with the elimination of dry food?
The meowing at the bedroom door started earlier.

The breakfast is usually gone as soon as I put it down, but he gets lunch a couple of hours later and I fill his bowl again when I see that it's empty. He now eats 300-400g of wet a day. Do you think I should give him more? He weighs 5 kg at the moment.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's still young enough that his body is going through a lot of growth still, and he needs the nutrients to fuel that growth, --I'm thinking yes, he may need more, especially overnight. If you're not putting something down for him, that's a long stretch of time to go from his last meal of the day to breakfast.

Otherwise, he may just be turning into a talker :)

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll definitely start giving him more, don't want the poor guy to be hungry. That's actually why I gave him the dry in the first place, but while he had access to it he was refusing most of the wet food.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
yeah, kittens ought to have basically infinite food. with that said, some cats just like to talk, and affectionate cats who want human attention probably do more of it feral cats don't generally meow at all, it;s something only domesticated cats do, they do it to communicate with us humans), so think of it as a sign that you have an intelligent, loving pet... Sometimes the moews are real annoying though.

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The funny part is that he doesn't really know how to meow, he just lets out long high-pitched squeaks. It's adorable :D

At what point should I switch him to an adult diet? I know that they usually grow until their 18th month, but not quite as much as in the first 7-8 months. I don't mind him being a bit chubby as BSHs are prone to be, but I don't want him to get obese either o_O

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
squeeky :cloud9:

You could find All Life Stages brands of foods. If it were me, I'd probably keep his canned food as Kitten stage food for the extra protein for a while yet, and I would feed that during the day.

For the kibble I'd look for All Life Stages and have some down for your sweetie for overnight.

That's just an example of course, because there's a lot of different ways to approach this.
Something that people are mentioning is to try and feed different brands of foods, in a weekly or monthly rotation of sorts so your baby doesn't "imprint" on one brand.

You could start a weight log for him too, that would be helpful for keeping track of things :)

Last edited: