Cat becoming very angry and obsessive only when given a certain toy [Video]

yo0123yo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I asked this on a different forum but it seemed like no one knew but it is pretty weird, I was watching their Youtube video and what I am referring to is from 1:45 - 4:10 in the video, I have never ever seen that kind of behavior before over a toy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yo0123yo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lol forgot to post the video its here from1:45 - 4:10 

Last edited by a moderator:

yo0123yo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, they are giving her a purple furry toy and as soon as she gets a grip on it she keeps growling and if anyone gets near she is getting very territorial and angry and will not let go of it

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I said, it sounds like she is really in the moment and it's a hunting instinct.  Cats do not like to share their catches and trophies.  This is actually very normal.  She is just in the moment and like a kid at play, her imagination has made the toy real prey. 

yo0123yo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
wow thanks I did not know that I never have seen that before hmm, thank you!

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, in my opinion, they deserve whatever wounds she inflicts on them.  They should let her be.  Cats give clear warnings and only morons ignore and continue to torment a cat.  It's a primal response. 

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, what gorgeous cats! They look like Bengals?
Anyway, my cat Pushy used to do that when we first got Da Bird. He would go nuts for it! Then when he finally caught it, he would growl like Nala in the video and not let his brother Wiggies near it. Great toy for exercise and stimulation. Shame they "killed" it. :lol3:

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Normal to one of my cats.  He growls, but never lashes out.  He drags it around the house, sleeps with it.  I call it Kill Mouse. Only one store in our area has this mouse so when he rips the stuffing out of it I have extras for back up.  My daughters cat plays fetch, but she only does it with one certain mouse.

yo0123yo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much just saw the other replies

reikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They look like Bengals or mixes. Bengals are bred down from wild cats and as such can have more wild cat traits instead of domestic cat traits.  It's why the designer breeds bred with wild cats usually make horrible pets.

It looks like your girl has a pretty high prey drive and something about that toy really sets it off. That is her kill and she is not sharing it. Every time you take it from her you and pester her when she has it making her more possessive over it. I've had cats react like this to other toys that they claim as theirs, typically though they're mousers or outside kitties, ones who have to hunt for themselves in the past.

So to answer your question yes, this is normal behavior.