Cat Baths

lanasaez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all! I would just like to know how often can we give our cat a bath? 

Once a month, twice a month?

once every 3 months?  

Thanks!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think most people believe that we do not need to bathe most cats at all.  Grooming with a comb/brush (depending on coat type) is good; but water baths are not necessary unless you need to remove something from their fur or they are exceptionally dirty.  Especially indoor-only cats.  They do make wipes that you can use to do a quick cleaning without water.  I used to bathe my cats every so often when they were smaller because of DH's allergies; but honestly it's been years since we've given them one at all!  

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I bath my show cats before almost every show. If the shows are only 2 weeks apart I usually don't give another bath. My cats who are not shown never get baths.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shorthair cats never need a bath unless they get something on their coat they mustn't groom out, or there is a medical need.

Some longhair cats need a bath to help keep their coat in order, but how often depends on the cat's coat.  Never, ever bath a cat with tangles in it's coat - it makes them worse.

If you are showing you might need to bath depending on the breed, coat & colour.

baset

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi MoochNooldes

It's nice to read about bathing. I have an indoor cat and don't bathe her. Her fur is fine and she smells so nice her fur is soft and fluffy. I do wipe her if she needs it even her paws.                     

by Baset