Cat Barely Eating

Steph42q

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat, Kiernan, is 3 and I've had her for a year and a half. Her usual diet consists of a 3 ounce can of wet food twice a day. She also gets 10 grams of dry food 'snacks' divided into four portions throughout the day in her auto feeder. She always finished her dry food, and eats anywhere from 3-5 ounces of wet food depending on her whims. She also gets about 2 Pure Bites shrimp and a few crunchy treats.

On Thursday morning, Kiernan cat vomited or regurgitated what looked like a few teaspoons of wet food along with a dark brown liquid. Since then she's eaten barely a teaspoon a day of wet food and about 3/4 of her dry food. She's been averaging about 30 of her normal ~130 calories a day. She'll eat her treats, but isn't as enthusiastic about in them as usual. She's also been a bit more lethargic, and much less interested in playing. (She's usually an active cat who insists I play with her for at least an hour a day.) She's been drinking a lot more water.

I'm pretty sure what caused her to vomit was reaction to the fumes from the polyurethane being put down in my apartment building's hallways as the floors are being redone. I've been airing out my apartment as much as I can but Thursday was particularly bad. She has, in the past, vomited as reaction to fumes from acetone and rubbing alcohol, but she's always resumed her normal eating patterns after. (I now no longer use anything with strong fumes near her.)

So far I've just been giving Kiernan her regular food on schedule, hoping that this is just a 'wait it out' situation. It's so tempting to give her more treats just to increase her calories, but I don't want to return to the bad habits and fussiness she had when first got her. It's hard when she's not even excited about her beloved dry food snacks. Any tips on getting through this?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take her to the vet and rule out an obstruction or anything else serious like acute toxicity. I'm going through the same thing with my Krista right now. Except she's 15 and probably hates the vet more than yours does. I had to drop her off this morning because they will have to sedate her to do anything with her. But if it is an obstruction, these things can go bad fast if you "wait and see". My Krista will eat Pure Bites tuna when she won't eat anything else. She ate a couple bites this morning. Since this is the only time I feed her tuna now, I don't give the "you shouldn't feed fish to cats" issue a second thought. But yeah, if you rule out anything more serious, the vet can prescribe anti-nausea, anti-vomiting, and/or an appetite stimulant to help her through this. Or if you believe it is air quality/fumes and insist on waiting it out, maybe pick up an air purifier and confine it and the cat to a small room where it can do its job. Most air purifiers aren't rated for more than 400 sq feet so you'll want to focus on a room rather than the entire home.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with @daftcat. Take her in. If she is experiencing toxicity from the fumes, this might well NOT be a "wait and see" situation, depending on the product. Or she may have a blockage. Or she may be in the early stages of a disease process. No matter the cause, sooner seen, sooner mended.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Steph42q

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I'll take her in now. She was playing a little more this afternoon, but still not eating. This is my first experience with a sick cat and it is so scary.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's terrifying. Been there, done that. Let us know what the vet says! We'll fret.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista is home. She’ll probably need to sleep the sedative off and I expect her to test food again maybe around 2am. For now, she’s got the bird channel and the squirrel channel on (staring out the window.). I’ll go out, get my own dinner, give her space enough to choose her own adventure this afternoon, and we can watch the baseball game together when I get back. Dr says nothing obstructed on the X-ray so we wait for the blood results. She was due for a checkup anyway. It’s just so hard with her because she’s so angry at the vet’s now. None of the techs want to handle her anymore unless she’s sedated.

Steph42q

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I forgot to update!
Kiernan had an xray, and her blood and urine tested. Everything looked good. She does have 1 slightly enlarged kidney which is apparently not unheard of in some cats, and the vet thinks it's benign. Her weight is down more than expected, but she's still well within a normal range. So basically there are some slightly weird things that the vet can find no explanation for, but she can't find anything serious. I have diagnosed Kiernan with being a trouble-making stinker.

She has been put on an anti-nausea and an appetite stimulant, and is showing more interest in food. Hopefully she will be on the mend, and I know next time there are fumes, I should do everything I can to keep her far away.

I'm really thankful I was advised to take her in. It's not cheap, but it's worth knowing my little goober is okay.

Here is a picture of Kiernan waiting expectantly for a ride in her stroller. At 9:30 pm.

Attachments

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's gorgeous! Reminds me of my last cat, Cabernet.

Sometimes when a cat doesn't eat well for too long it begins to feel nauseated from not eating and this perpetuates the anorexia (not eating.) If there's nothing else wrong with her, then the drugs should help her through this. I don't know which drugs you were prescribed. But be aware that Cerenia can cause anorexia in some cats. If she's taking Cerenia and still not eating well, and doesn't need the anti-vomiting action of Cerenia, there are other anti-nausea drugs to ask your vet about.

Steph42q

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for that info. She was just given her single dose anti-nausea at the vet's so I'm not sure what she got. I'll call and ask, since I have a hunch that this won't be the last time she refuses to eat. Her appetite stimulant is Mirtazapine. She also had to take Mirtazapine when I got her because she wasn't eating due to the stress of changes after her previous 'caretakers' abandoning her in an empty home when they moved. It would probably be prudent for me to set up a plan of action with her regular vet so I can be proactive if/when she refuses to eat again.

Your little Krista is so cute, by the way. That blep is ADORABLE!