Cat barely eating, but still drinking, and playful

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 6 year old FIV+ cat, Lee-Lee, is going to the vet Monday. For about the last week now, he's had minimal appetite, but still been drinking and playing. This has me confused, worried too and just thinking on it all the time. Has anyone here experienced something similar with their cat? The lack of eating much concerns me a lot, but he's still playful which I didn't see much when he's been sick before.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My 6 year old FIV+ cat, Lee-Lee, is going to the vet Monday. For about the last week now, he's had minimal appetite, but still been drinking and playing. This has me confused, worried too and just thinking on it all the time. Has anyone here experienced something similar with their cat? The lack of eating much concerns me a lot, but he's still playful which I didn't see much when he's been sick before.
How long has he not been eating? If it's been 48 hrs, can you drop him off today or tomorrow morning so the vet cat feed him through an iv?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How long has he not been eating? If it's been 48 hrs, can you drop him off today or tomorrow morning so the vet cat feed him through an iv?
He eats, but just very little. A few bites at a time and not much overall

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try canned food like shredded chicken or pate so he can get moisture in him.
He's still drinking water and canned wet food is mostly what I've been giving him. This is what I mean too by him being playful. He does this, runs, and tries to play with my feet most of the day. He plays like this most of the day

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
There are several options you can try to encourage his appetite since it's very important for him to eat. Have you contacted your vet? It's good that he wants to play and is drinking but he needs to eat. You can add toppers to his food such as lickable treats (Churus), Stella & Chewy freeze dried morsels or Fortiflora. Also try all meat baby food with no seasonings like this one:
Beech-Nut Chicken & Chicken Broth Stage 1 Baby Food

TCS has an Article about how to get your cat to start eating: How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again - TheCatSite
Best of luck and please keep us posted on his progress.

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are several options you can try to encourage his appetite since it's very important for him to eat. Have you contacted your vet? It's good that he wants to play and is drinking but he needs to eat. You can add toppers to his food such as lickable treats (Churus), Stella & Chewy freeze dried morsels or Fortiflora. Also try all meat baby food with no seasonings like this one:
Beech-Nut Chicken & Chicken Broth Stage 1 Baby Food

TCS has an Article about how to get your cat to start eating: How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again - TheCatSite
Best of luck and please keep us posted on his progress.
His mouth is hurting again. He yawned and I saw an ulcer. That explains why he isn't eating much. That ulcer is in an area where it makes it hard to avoid food. I thought his full mouth extraction would clear that issue up entirely

Last edited:

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if the lone ulcer is the reason why he's not eating, but it's a guess. Earlier today he was literally playing with his food, knocking his can of food around like a hockey puck. It makes no sense. He also drops food out of his mouth sometimes like he did before the tooth extraction