Cat Balding near eyes and ears

Drewster

Single cat dad
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is balding between his eyes and his ears, i dont see any redness and he hasnt be scratching it or anything, it doesnt seem to bother him. I read it may be facial alocpicia and since he is a snowshoe with siemeese backround that may be what it is but im still new to being a cat parent so im still learning as i go here. I dont know his exact age since he was a abandonded stray i took in but vet says hes 3-4 years old if that helps any. Thanks for any advice, just looking for second opinions so i dont have to make the daunting hassle it is to take him to the vet ( he doesnt like the vet)

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
My boy, who is a lot older, has something similar although not quite to this degree (maybe depending on the light I look at it).

I wonder, since there's no redness or itchiness whether he went through a period of nutritional lack and it's visually apparent as this? Is he grooming his head a lot?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Drewster

Single cat dad
Young Cat
Purraise
He hasnt been grooming more than normal. This is also in direct light, its not as extreme in different angles but still noticable, i was looking back at photos and maybe i just havent noticed it and since the sun is out its easier to see because the sun really doesnt come out a lot here in the pacific northwest this time of year.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If he is not bothering it, and as Furballsmom Furballsmom suggested overgrooming those areas/or had a recent bout with nutritional issues, it might be nothing. It could even be something as basic a seasonal changes, possibly associated with allergies. Everything else OK (eating/drinking/litter box behavior/playing? I think you can keep an eye on it, see if the balding spreads or he starts scratching at it before you would need to worry too much. If you are concerned you won't notice subtle changes, take pics of it at least weekly so you can see any changes more easily.

Drewster

Single cat dad
Young Cat
Purraise
Everything else is the same appetite water litterbox etc. His activities dont seem out of the norm, he is shedding quite a bit due to his summer lighter coat coming in, possibly part of the reason for this? I adopted him last fall so im sure about how his shedding and coat change goes

Drewster

Single cat dad
Young Cat
Purraise
ya, he is a handsome boy, still insane to me that someone abandoned him, but one mans trash is another mans treasure

Drewster

Single cat dad
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ll monitor it, doesnt seem like its affecting him at all, right now hes running around the house like a nutcase so, pretty normal

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
There does seem to be some dander in the area, and a small nub in the middle. I wonder if that nub is a small scratch or bite that is irritated.

I'm not familiar with what you might use to alleviate itchiness, maybe a little benedryl-type ointment?... Maybe some other folks have ideas.

The only other thing that pops to mind is I would double check that it's not ringworm (a skin fungus). It will show under a black light if you have access to one.
If it's ringworm, you will need to call your vet with an emergency situation, because you will need special anti-fungal medication for it. I know it might be tricky with business lock downs, but you might be able to send pics and diagnose remotely.

Drewster

Single cat dad
Young Cat
Purraise
That little spot you see what some sort of dead skin or something that was loose in his fur, it wasnt even attached to his skin, and thats actually not dander, he was rolling around on the dirty ground. I may call the vet tomorrow, now i cant help to see it everytime i look at him and it worries me.

Drewster

Single cat dad
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet took a look and didnt see anything of concern, she says its normal for cats to bald there, especially cats who are black or have dark or black fur on their head because its easier to see than a lighter furred cat. Other than that hes a happy and healthy cat. Thanks for everyones insight

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
she says its normal for cats to bald there, especially cats who are black or have dark or black fur on their head because its easier to see than a lighter furred cat. Other than that hes a happy and healthy cat.
What a terrific update, thank you! Let us know how things go for you down the road :).