Cat Backpack Carrier for Emergencies

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do not have a car so if I need to evacuate or some other kind of emergency, a backpack type carrier would be best. I am concerned about a mesh or soft backpack because she gets very anxious and I don’t want her to rip it if she starts trying to get out. I would prefer a hard shell that expands so she has more room when we are not in motion. Mesh expansion is ok because I can always put it back if she starts to claw at it.
There’s just so many out there!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Expandable Cat Backpack Carrier, Fit up to 20 lbs, Space Capsule Astronaut Bubble Window Pet Backpack for Large Cat and Small Puppy

If you type that into Amazon's search bar, this is the style I'm speaking of. Several of our cat customers have these and they all have nothing but good things to say about them. One of the owners who uses them has several cats and is very active in a cat rescue and recommends them to her adopters.
I'd also keep a copy of her latest shot records inside the carrier or on a side pocket. Include a print out with information such as her name, address, a CURRENT photo, any medications she's on, her diet, etc. Also include your cell number, any social media accounts that you could be reached at, and her vets name, address, and phone number. Also I'd include an emergency contact or two of friends or relatives that lives nearby, so if for some reason the worst case scenario happened (you were hospitalized, etc.) she would have a safe and familiar place to go until you were well again. Good on you for planning for an emergency!

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got ours from Wish I believe, not somewhere I’d normally shop but I was doing a work purchase and it was only £20. One of the best £20 I spent!
My cats love it, they willingly climb in and whilst 3/4 have never been bothered with carriers, my eldest girl hated the carrier before and would cry but she’s quiet and lies straight down in this one! They have a lot of room, including my big cat and I think they really enjoy looking out and being able to see their surroundings.
That goes hand in hand with me feeling like it’s much more secure and it takes the weight off of carrying them as I put it on my front.
I assume you’re looking for recommendations for one? I was skeptical buying from Wish, but it’s sturdy, big and suits for exactly what I was hoping, so hopefully that helps you :)

Blueberry and Rhubarb 4 months old
5ABF0F3B-BAB6-44D7-8268-ABD3146E785F.jpeg

Mango (around 6 months old I think)
37FE75A4-E326-48C6-A1A1-BE7F670B9157.jpeg

Mango now (looking a bit worried as the vet walks off with him 😂)
CD51DCE7-BA6F-4B1A-9851-3A3A40C9AC81.jpeg

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A few people at our animal shelter have a backpack from Your Cat Backpack and they all wholeheartedly recommend them! They've shared pictures of their hiking and travel adventures and the backpacks look very secure and durable. I also know someone who bought one after they had to evacuate their high rise building via the stairs while carrying a traditional carrier. She bought one of these the very next day!

Your Cat Backpack by Travel Cat - The #1 Cat Travel Brand in the World