Cat Backed Up - Hypoallergenic probiotics?

abby-anne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

My cat has always had a sensitive stomach/problems with shaking her ears, which has been traced to food allergies. I switched her over to a chicken-free/grain free diet, and since putting her on Koha's single meat wet food 3 months ago, stomach noises/loose BM's haven't been an issue. However, I have found that she is having fewer BM's and she seems a bit backed up (based on what I see in the litter box). Her bum is sometimes a bit red as well (sorry for TMI). No howling and no swelling on her stomach.

I booked a vet appointment for tomorrow because I was worried, but after giving her 4 days worth of fortiflora probiotics, she just had a normal BM. This is a good sign, and I think (and hope) an indicator of constipation rather than a blockage--which is not to be unexpected, as I cannot afford to give her a lot of wet food since switching over to Koha given how pricey it is.

Anyways, if the fortiflora has successfully helped get her BM's back to normal, I would like to keep her on them. However, my dilemma is this: there is chicken/some other meat proteins in there that she is sensitive to. The reaction she has had to other foods is that her ears get itchy and she starts shaking her head. Since switching her over to the Koha food (I only give her duck, lamb and occasionally turkey), her ears are still occasionally bothering her but the problem has become 85% better. I noticed that when I started to give her the fortiflora a few days ago in hopes that it would help her, she started shaking her head with a bit more frequency.

Does anyone have any recommendations on probiotics (preferably flavoured) that are hypoallergenic or grain free that would help with constipation?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give my cat PB8 Nutrition Now probiotics for her constipation (1/2 capsule per meal). It's not "flavored," but my cat likes the taste of it so much that she'll even eat it without food, and I give her the empty gelatin capsule after as a treat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abby-anne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I give my cat PB8 Nutrition Now probiotics for her constipation (1/2 capsule per meal). It's not "flavored," but my cat likes the taste of it so much that she'll even eat it without food, and I give her the empty gelatin capsule after as a treat.
Thanks so much for this. Did you cat seem sensitive/have an upset stomach when you first started giving them to her? How long did it take for you to notice an improvement?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abby-anne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for this. Did you cat seem sensitive/have an upset stomach when you first started giving them to her? How long did it take for you to notice an improvement?
No upset stomach at all. I tried it when I had exhausted all other constipation treatment options and it worked almost right away if I remember correctly. I was even able to phase out the Miralax and it's been working well for about 3 years now. But, she's never been very sensitive to different foods herself.

I had another cat that had itchiness and occasional vomiting that happened when she ate chicken and a few other proteins. I eventually discovered she did well on Dr. Elsey's pate turkey, which is still expensive, but maybe less than Koha? (I gave her the same probiotic for general health with no issues.)