Cat "back End" Odor

snowcat7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello All!
My 3-year-old male lilac mixed Siamese, Luka, has an odor from his back end. I only notice it on the front of my shirt after holding him. He doesn't have diarrhea (never has) and is very healthy. I'm wondering if it may be his anal glands. Each and every time I hold him I have to change my shirt. His anus never looks dirty. Suggestions? Ideas?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Could it be the type of food that you are feeding him that is causing the odor?
Has it always been this way, or more recent? I don't have a readily available pic of anal glands that are filling up, but you could search it on the internet to see if you can find one, and check that against what Luka's behind looks like.

Normally, if a cat has firm poop and cleans themselves well, the anal glands are stimulated enough to empty on their own. I suppose there are cases where this is not true, but if so, perhaps some other members on this site will soon see your post and can provide some other reasons for the smell.

I trust he is neutered?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be anal gland secretion. It smells like poop only a million times worse :barfgreen: Sometimes the glands just leak on their own. A trip to the vet is a good idea to make sure the glands aren't infected or impacted. If they're just full, the vet can empty them. You can empty the glands yourself at home in the future. Ask the vet to show you how. It may be a two person job and it can be messy so I recommend attempting to empty the glands in the bathroom with the door closed.