Cat Attacks Other Cats And Meows All Night

AdmiralFluff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello dear catlovers,

I cannot take it anymore, neither does my partner. My cat, a lovely 5 years old cat, is intolerable.
1) We have two cats, a 5 years old male (clawed) and a 8 years old female (declawed). Fluff, the 5 years old male, keeps attacking our other cat. He only takes some hair out of her, but he never hurts her. However, this puts her in constant stress, which breaks my heart. Whenever we play with her, he'll come and ruin it. It wasn't always like this, at first when we got him, they would play together, but for 2 years now this has been bad like this. Every day he attacks her twice or more. We tried preemptive playing, tossing toys, spraying water, but it always come back. When we moved we also tried re-introducing them, which did not change anything.

2) Adding to this, he meows all night. If we close the bedroom door, he will scratch and meow at it. We keep it open, he walks around the house meowing all night. This happened before, and it stopped, but it started again and while we keep on ignoring it, we can't ignore the fact we haven't slept a full night for the last week!
We started letting him go outside because a) we can't control it in our new home (no double-doors, so he escapes) and b) it used to calm him and make him attack less frequently the other cat. However, it backfired, as now he meows even more at the door to go out.
We play with him a lot. We try to tire him out, until he does not want to play anymore, but then at 4AM, he goes crazy-meowing.

3) He also bites people. Not firmly or nothing to hurt them, but still. He goes on people to cuddle, then bites them. I try to warn them and tell them not to pet him and just let him sit there, but it seems a bit unreasonable in the end.

He's a super lovely cat, he cuddles a lot and needs a lot of attention, which we give him (I work from home, I'm around a lot), but this is too much.
This is breaking my heart because my partner is starting to hate my cat. And I must say, with the not sleeping, I am starting to hate the cat too. I'm at my wits end :(

Any tips on how to ease this situation?
Thanks

Last edited:

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont have the answers, but I suggest you go to your local library and pick up some books on cat psychology and behavior.

I just finished reading one and this type of behavior is discussed, with possible solutions.

I find alot of the cat behavioral articles on the internet are short and unhelpful.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Hi AdmiralFluff, welcome to TCS!
Two things caught my attention in your post. Firstly, is Fluff neutered? A lot of what you describe in your first point could be dominance behaviour in an unaltered cat. Is it possible to create a space for her that he can't get too? Maybe a cat tree or some other vertical space?

Secondly, has he been to the vet lately? The constant meowing at night is something I noticed in one of my male cats as they aged...he ended up being hyperthyroid, but it could be a sign of something else. Either way, if he's not been recently, it may not be a bad idea to get him checked out. If there is something underlying, resolving it may help with the play aggression and biting too.

The biting may actually be overstimulation - we have an excellent article on why cats bite here: Cat Aggression Toward People

I'm sure others be along soon with more suggestions.