Cat attacks me

Cesrenia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had a female (previously stray and outdoor) cat for about 4 months. She is fixed now. She has high energy and very playful. Very vocal and seems to always be hungry. She will playfully attack a finger or toe if moving. But lately (this is new behavior and no changes have happened) she is unprovokingly attacking me, she wraps around my arm and biting hard and kicking..she meows also when she does it, pupils dilated and ears back. I put her down and try to distract her with a toy but she gets airplane ears and looks mad and jumps back at me or attacks my leg, meowing. I can't understand it. She only does it to me and it's random but she's not friendly with other family members and ignores them. I have to put her in another room because she won't stop. What do I do?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Normally any new behavior has a cause/reason, but if you honestly can't figure out what it is, then what you are doing is probably the best idea. Put her in a time out for no more than 1-2 minutes each time (if longer, they forget why they are there) - and repeat, repeat, repeat. You could add a 'No" or hiss in her face when you pick her up to take her to her time out location.

You might want to consider tracking/logging what is going on and what you are doing right before she does this to see if you can find a pattern - also the time of day, for possible added clues. It could be as simple as her wanting a play session with you, or something more complex whereby you are moving in a certain way that triggers her. If it seems food related, make sure she is eating enough or adjust her meal schedule so she gets more frequent meals, if applicable. The list of possibilities are endless, even things like you applying a new lotion on your hands or washing them in a new soap could be a trigger.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cesrenia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Normally any new behavior has a cause/reason, but if you honestly can't figure out what it is, then what you are doing is probably the best idea. Put her in a time out for no more than 1-2 minutes each time (if longer, they forget why they are there) - and repeat, repeat, repeat. You could add a 'No" or hiss in her face when you pick her up to take her to her time out location.

You might want to consider tracking/logging what is going on and what you are doing right before she does this to see if you can find a pattern - also the time of day, for possible added clues. It could be as simple as her wanting a play session with you, or something more complex whereby you are moving in a certain way that triggers her. If it seems food related, make sure she is eating enough or adjust her meal schedule so she gets more frequent meals, if applicable. The list of possibilities are endless, even things like you applying a new lotion on your hands or washing them in a new soap could be a trigger.
I am so trying to find the reason and will continue to try to figure it out! And while at first it seems like she's just trying to play the second I moved to remove her she gets more ferocious I guess.. My family wants me to smack at her but I don't think that's going to work and I don't want to do that because she's not going to understand the correlation. Thank you for your suggestions! I really want to try to do whatever I can because she was such a sweet cat. Do you suggest scruffing her neck? I've heard not to do that but when I pick her up she wants to attack me as I'm taking her to time out. This is so new to me. I've had cats my whole life and never have had an aggressive cat. Thank you for any and all advice

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you scruff her neck, make sure you have your other hand/arm under her to hold her weight. If that is what it takes to keep her from coming at you when you try to remove her, then I think it is OK. No smacking or swatting at her; just like with kids, any sort of violence is usually counter-productive. I have also seen this type of reaction escalate over time, so small gentle swats can lead to harder, more forceful swats, due to the emotional aspect being felt by the caretaker.

Graciella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We got ours as a kitten. He’s nearly a year old now and he still gets bitey with me when he’s wound up. What I found works is I make a horrible high pitched EEEEE sound. It really breaks the spell. I used to have to repeat it a few times but now once usually does the trick.

I started doing it when a woman who fostered cats suggested that I scream OUCH really loud. I couldn’t bring myself to do that, but the EEEEE is annoying enough. Do it loud enough that it kind of hurts your own ears.

She told me to be consistent, which I have done and I see results.

I have to admit that I did scream at him this morning for the first time. I was rattled and he kept attacking my foot as you described yours doing. I screamed loud enough that he took off up his tree, looking at me all big eyed. So that works too I guess.

Good luck, let me know if it works.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She has high energy and very playful. Very vocal and seems to always be hungry.
It's common for a former stray/feral to be food focused. Can you leave dry out at all times or add an extra meal? Unless she has a health issue that requires limited/special diet don't worry about her gaining weight right now. High energy cats usually need more than the suggested servings to maintain weight. A full cat is also easier to train.

she wraps around my arm and biting hard and kicking..she meows also when she does it, pupils dilated and ears back
This is how cats/kittens play with each other. Since she's naturally vocal the meowing is not surprising. Dilated pupils can mean any kind of excitement, both happy and upset. Ears back is less common in play but since you're her chosen person I leaned towards play not aggression. She needs to learn to be gentle with humans.

Use a loud sound to get her attention so she stops. Oww, EEP, or a hiss should work, always use the same sound. I like to add a calm command and then put myself behind a door for a few minutes.

I have 2yr old littermates. Luna is high energy and vocal. She is a happy biter/nibbler. When she purrs her mouth goes into action. It took a year with her. OWW and no nibbling works for her but it took over a year to get a calm "no nibs" when she touches me with teeth. Leo is more like your girl. He likes the full grab, kick, and bite. OWW and "gentle" were his commands. He occassionally still grabs and bites hard but now a calm "gentle" stops him immediately. He was quicker to learn and it only took a few weeks to get to one gentle word to stop.

Play will help. Several sessions a day with a string toy. Get her running, up over furniture, and down the halls.

Get a kicker toys or 2 so you can rotate if she gets bored. Try getting her to play fetch. I've only had 1 cat, Yoshi, that took to it. Shake or bounce a small toy so it looks alive and toss it. I keep a set in a bag of catnip and switch them out.

Get her liitle brain occupied. Treat puzzles could help. Make a few before investing. Toilet paper or paper towel tubes with holes and folded at the ends. There are a variety of electronic toys out there. I haven't met a cat who didn't get bored with the ones that just go around randomly. Most cats like the hexbugs. Leo love them but would shred it if not watched. It moves too calmly for Luna. Luna loves her cat on wheels.

With Luna, and previously Yoshi, I do house tours. Carry them around the house and let them check see (not touch) stuff up high. As a kitten I taught Luna to ride on my shoulders and now tours are easier for me.

If your area is safe harness training could be a good thing for her. I'd start with teaching her to come on command or at least look like she wants to. Also teach her that being picked up is a good thing.

I tried to note everything that worked for me. I hope it helps.

I have this Hexmouse. danteshuman danteshuman knows more about these than me.

Amazon.com

Luna's favorite electric mouse. Expensive but sturdy and rechargable so no buying batteries.

Amazon.com

Kickeroo toy. Most pet supply and some grocery stores carry them.

Amazon.com

A few DIY ideas

Homemade Puzzles - Food Puzzles for Cats

15 Easy DIY Cat Toys You Can Make for Your Kitty TODAY!

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When my cats get those wild dilated pupils, that's when I STOP playing. They've lost their minds at that point and that's when the play attacks will happen. They're off their senses. That's when I go do something else in another closed room and/or make the environment very low-stimulation. They calm, gather themselves again, and then everyone is fine.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've had a female (previously stray and outdoor) cat for about 4 months. She is fixed now. She has high energy and very playful. Very vocal and seems to always be hungry. She will playfully attack a finger or toe if moving. But lately (this is new behavior and no changes have happened) she is unprovokingly attacking me, she wraps around my arm and biting hard and kicking..she meows also when she does it, pupils dilated and ears back. I put her down and try to distract her with a toy but she gets airplane ears and looks mad and jumps back at me or attacks my leg, meowing. I can't understand it. She only does it to me and it's random but she's not friendly with other family members and ignores them. I have to put her in another room because she won't stop. What do I do?
To me, this does not sound like an attack (if it was true attacks, she would draw blood...you'd need medical attention. Speaking from experience).

Sounds like she is getting too hyper/stimulated and trying to play and doing so too roughly. This happens with many young cats, but frequently when a young cat doesn't have another to wrestle with and test boundaries. (Some people call this single kitten syndrome.)

Try a high pitched EEP when she does this. You may have to go, "Eeep eeeep eeeep!" The first few times.

However, she will also need something to wrestle with. The flopping fish is a great toy. But I recommend getting some kickers and things too. You'll have to play them with her, so you want really big ones where she's not likely to get your hand. Eeep if she accidentally does. She will need an outlet for this wrestle energy to truly prevent the behaviour. Best to get in to a play routine with it.

PS. Mine really love a woolen dryer ball with some catnip on it as a kicker because it "escapes" them.

Cesrenia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We got ours as a kitten. He’s nearly a year old now and he still gets bitey with me when he’s wound up. What I found works is I make a horrible high pitched EEEEE sound. It really breaks the spell. I used to have to repeat it a few times but now once usually does the trick.

I started doing it when a woman who fostered cats suggested that I scream OUCH really loud. I couldn’t bring myself to do that, but the EEEEE is annoying enough. Do it loud enough that it kind of hurts your own ears.

She told me to be consistent, which I have done and I see results.

I have to admit that I did scream at him this morning for the first time. I was rattled and he kept attacking my foot as you described yours doing. I screamed loud enough that he took off up his tree, looking at me all big eyed. So that works too I guess.

Good luck, let me know if it works.
Will definitely give it a try. It's not been happening as much since I've been putting her in timeout and really working on distractions

Cesrenia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's common for a former stray/feral to be food focused. Can you leave dry out at all times or add an extra meal? Unless she has a health issue that requires limited/special diet don't worry about her gaining weight right now. High energy cats usually need more than the suggested servings to maintain weight. A full cat is also easier to train.

This is how cats/kittens play with each other. Since she's naturally vocal the meowing is not surprising. Dilated pupils can mean any kind of excitement, both happy and upset. Ears back is less common in play but since you're her chosen person I leaned towards play not aggression. She needs to learn to be gentle with humans.

Use a loud sound to get her attention so she stops. Oww, EEP, or a hiss should work, always use the same sound. I like to add a calm command and then put myself behind a door for a few minutes.

I have 2yr old littermates. Luna is high energy and vocal. She is a happy biter/nibbler. When she purrs her mouth goes into action. It took a year with her. OWW and no nibbling works for her but it took over a year to get a calm "no nibs" when she touches me with teeth. Leo is more like your girl. He likes the full grab, kick, and bite. OWW and "gentle" were his commands. He occassionally still grabs and bites hard but now a calm "gentle" stops him immediately. He was quicker to learn and it only took a few weeks to get to one gentle word to stop.

Play will help. Several sessions a day with a string toy. Get her running, up over furniture, and down the halls.

Get a kicker toys or 2 so you can rotate if she gets bored. Try getting her to play fetch. I've only had 1 cat, Yoshi, that took to it. Shake or bounce a small toy so it looks alive and toss it. I keep a set in a bag of catnip and switch them out.

Get her liitle brain occupied. Treat puzzles could help. Make a few before investing. Toilet paper or paper towel tubes with holes and folded at the ends. There are a variety of electronic toys out there. I haven't met a cat who didn't get bored with the ones that just go around randomly. Most cats like the hexbugs. Leo love them but would shred it if not watched. It moves too calmly for Luna. Luna loves her cat on wheels.

With Luna, and previously Yoshi, I do house tours. Carry them around the house and let them check see (not touch) stuff up high. As a kitten I taught Luna to ride on my shoulders and now tours are easier for me.

If your area is safe harness training could be a good thing for her. I'd start with teaching her to come on command or at least look like she wants to. Also teach her that being picked up is a good thing.

I tried to note everything that worked for me. I hope it helps.

I have this Hexmouse. danteshuman danteshuman knows more about these than me.

Amazon.com

Luna's favorite electric mouse. Expensive but sturdy and rechargable so no buying batteries.

Amazon.com

Kickeroo toy. Most pet supply and some grocery stores carry them.

Amazon.com

A few DIY ideas

Homemade Puzzles - Food Puzzles for Cats

15 Easy DIY Cat Toys You Can Make for Your Kitty TODAY!
Thank you so much for all the amazing advice! I am more inclined to agree that is just playfulness. I feed raw food diet only so I don't leave out dry food but I think I'm going to up her calories. Playing with her more and distracting has helped as well as I did hiss at her and it seemed to work. She likes being held so when she starts getting crazy I just kind of stand up and hold her and she calms down and purrs lol. I'm glad this is a common behavior because I was worried something was wrong or she was changing personality due to getting fixed. I will take all of your advice and try several of them. Thank you so much!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you or anybody in your house allow your cat to wrestle with hands?
I'm not against rough housing with cats. In fact, I like it and our cats are allowed to wrestle.

However, IF you allow wrestling, the cat will think that she can do it any time because it's a "normal thing" for a cat do to. It's very hard to teach a cat that's been allowed to wrestle to stop doing it.

I agree that your cat is probably playing when she attacks you, even if she looks fierce but she needs to learn your "House Rules."

It's just like having little kids in the house. You have rules like "No playing ball in the living room" or "No running in the house." If you want to do those things, go outside and play. The same thing applies to your pets, only adjusted for cats. If you think there should be no wrestling with cats, then that's a House Rule. Just like kids, cats need to learn House Rules.

The thing is... If you don't want your cat to wrestle, EVERYBODY must obey that rule; humans AND cats. If one person doesn't want to wrestle with cats but the other person does, the inconsistency in House Rules will make it hard for a cat to learn the rules.

Bottom line: If you don't want your cat to play-attack at random times, don't allow rough housing and everybody in the house needs to follow the same rule book.