Cat attacks me when I try to go to bed??

Bratzela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a male cat who is 5 years old that I have had for almost 2 years. In the past few weeks he2s taken to trying to attack me when I try to go to sleep. He's never done it before and he does it even if he's in another room and comes out when I'm going to be. I don't know how to teach him not to do it. I've tried looking away when he's about to do it, staring him down(I know it makes cats feel threatened sometimes but it worked before with him), blocking him with my pillow, and spraying him with water when he jumps up to attack. No of it has worked though so I need some advice on what to do.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does this happen only at night? If yes my other question will be, does he commonly have the zoomies at night like a lot of cats do? I'm trying to understand if this could be a case of directing the zoomies/night hunting instincts at you. My Hima changes her favorite things to "hunt" occasionally. For a while it was just some objects, then it was my hair when I'm in bed, then my legs under the quilt though I don't think she understand those are my legs...

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats love to attack limbs under covers. Its a super fun game that most cats like in my experience. Your cat has probably only just discovered that when you first go to bed, you move your limbs a lot to get comfy, making for attractive pouncing targets.

If this is what is going on, and you want him to continue sleeping with you, just ignore him and stop moving around asap. He will get bored and stop. There are problems with this strategy, but its worth a shot.

...of course if the attack happens before you are actually under the covers then disregard the above.

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would grab him when he looks ready to pounce, tell him “no” in a loud voice and shut him out of the bedroom for the night. If you are consistent he will get the message that if he doesn’t behave he spends the night elsewhere.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't really have any suggestions, but I do have a question: what, if anything, can you think of that changed right before this new behavior started? Given that he never did it before, something changed and caused him to become interested in this 'game'. Change in food, or not feeding him as late as night as you used to? Maybe you stopped or shortened a late evening play time, and he is missing it. New bedding that smells different, or new lotion/cologne/soap you are using? I sincerely think that some change has occurred in your home/household that has triggered this. If you can't find any reason, I guess you could just work with this TCS article to see if you can devise a plan to get him to stop bugging you when you retire for the night.
How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night (step-by-step Plan) – Cat Articles

The only suggestion I would make is that you stop spraying him with water. It is unproductive and usually backfires.
5 Reasons To Never Spray Water On Your Cat [Or otherwise punish them] – Cat Articles

Last edited: