Cat Attacks Me For Unknown Reasons.

Hemiram

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everybody. I have two approx 5 year old cats, a neutered polydactyl male Tabby "Timmy", and a tiny spayed, one eyed female, "Wink". I got them in Jan and Feb of 2013, and they get along very well together. I had a huge cat previously who was very nice at home, but was 'The worst patient ever" at the vet's. A new champ has been crowned now, but I don't really understand how he could be worse, especially since he's only about half the size my old cat was.

Wink is very affectionate, she loves to be held, etc. She is never aggressive, except for a couple of times a year, when she goes totally insane, and attacks me. In all the past cases but the one last night, they were triggered by two things:

1. Timmy is in trouble, and when I try to help him, she seems to think I'm hurting him. The first attack was about six months after I got them. Timmy had somehow tangled himself up in the drapes and was hanging upside down, screaming. As I got him loose, Wink attacked me, biting my forearm twice, hanging from it the second time. That attack was over pretty quickly. The 10 or so attacks that have come since, about half of them were when I was trying to get Timmy out of some kind of situation. These make some kind of sense.

2. A loud noise. The first attack that happened without Timmy's being in trouble was when I dropped a plate I was washing onto the other plates in the sink. Wink jumped on my leg, screaming, and sunk her teeth into the back of my calf several times. I finally got her off and blocked her with a frying pan. She stopped the attack after about a minute, and a few minutes later, she seemed to be back to her normal self. This kind of thing has happened several more times, with me getting bitten on my legs, feet, butt, and arm. These make sense to me too, the one last night, by far the worst one, is a mystery.

I was making dinner, and Timmy was getting low on food, anytime he can see the bottom of the food bowl, he starts whining and whining, and won't stop until I put food in the dish. As I went into the kitchen, he ran in front of me, making all his, "Oh boy!" trillls, purrs, and grunts, all his happy sounds. I picked up the bag of food, and about one second after I topped off the food, she attacked. Her first hit was on the back of my ankle, she sunk her teeth into the back of it, and swung her back feet around and raked the top of my foot. She was screaming and hissing. I shook my leg to get her off, and she jumped up and sunk her teeth into my upper thigh, and hung there for a few seconds, and raked the back of my knee. I got her off again, and she jumped up and got my calf on my other leg. After a couple of more bites and scratches, I got a frying pan and blocked her with it. Timmy came up to her and she attacked him too! He ran and after about 30 seconds of he chasing him, she ran out of gas, and perched herself on a chair. I went and washed my bites and scratches with alcohol, and then approached her. She was fine, and before I left for work, she got onto my chest as usual and purred and gently chewed on my shirt. As I walked out the door, the two cats were grooming each other, looking totally relaxed, with their eyes closed.

Any idea what happened last night?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :wave3:

Wink's behaviour is very unusual (to me, at least). It could be redirected aggression, but I'm not convinced that that totally fits with the behaviour you describe. It sounds almost like she's disassociated during these attacks (much as I hesitate to use this kind of human psychiatric term when talking about animals). My first thought is to get her to the vet and get her thoroughly checked out. There may be an underlying physical cause for her behaviour. Tell the vet what's going on - if you're able to get a video that's even better, but I do understand that that won't be easy! You could look into a cat behaviourist too.

My instinct is that she may need medication. Whilst anti stress measures like Feliway and daily interactive playtime may help, I think there's something deeper going on that needs addressing. In the meantime, keep her claws clipped if you can, and maybe fit her with Softpaws style claw covers too. It won't protect you from her teeth, but it should reduce that damage she can do in these episodes.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help. I really hope you find some answers (and ways to manage her behaviour) very soon :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hemiram

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply.

She's been checked out and is very healthy. At the vets, she is purring the entire time, rolling around on the exam table and she is as nice as can be, taking shots without any distress at all. She's been checked out and she's fine. I don't see how this could be medical as it's been going on for 4 years+, and I'm going to guess that either the bag of food being poured out, or my grunting (I have a bad bad back) made her think Timmy was in trouble. Her attacking him was just her being wound up and frustrated she couldn't get me. I loaded the dishwasher this morning and watched her carefully and had a cookie sheet to block her with in case she went off. She barely reacted to my clanking dishes at all. When I got finished, I sat down and she came up into my lap for some smootching, like always. A little bit later, my friend showed up with his 85 pound Pit Bull and as always, both cats came running over to him and Wink ended up sleeping on his shoulder, with Timmy under his front leg. The only person Wink will come out immediately for his my friend, and when the dog isn't with him, she is very timid about it, but eventually she's wanting to play with him. Anyone else, it's a long wait for her to show up. Timmy is at the door, purring and trilling no matter who it is. He will stand up on his back legs to greet people, even someone like the cable guy.

My old cat would become totally enraged just being put into his carrier and would attack anything that came close to him the entire time he was at the vet's office, usually topping it all off with him crapping on himself and rolling in it while glaring at us like he wanted us to die. I would take Wink's 2X a year or so meltdowns over those rages any time. His bites, since he was 3 times the size of Wink, about 28 pounds, were a whole different thing than Wink's petite little mouth.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What was Wink's background/history before you got her?

I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you, since none of my domestic cats has ever attacked me. My new feral cat I TNR'd occasionally strikes and scratches me without warning, but she was born feral and is a wild little thing. Even she has never attempted a full-out attack. You have my sympathy. :alright:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree that there is something deeper going on with Wink. Out of curiosity, how did she loose the eye and how old was she when you got her?

It might be beneficial to seek out someone who is familiar with cat psychology. An anti anxiety medication might go a long way in preventing these attacks. It really sounds almost PTSD in a way from what you are describing.

Hemiram

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, here are some pics:

Wink, right before I got her.
And Timmy right after I brought him home.

And from about 1999, Orville the cat, and his tormenter, King. Sadly, a couple of weeks after Orville figured out King was playing with him, his kidneys went and he was gone at almost 17. King LOVED cats, but most of them didn't like him much at all, he was too intense. King was a.."trip", he just didn't care what you wanted him to do. He was his "own man", the smartest dog I ever had, and was boss of any group of dogs. The glare he and his sister Molly gave other dogs made their knees shake, and he would take no "crap", he just wanted to be left alone, if he was bugged by another dog, the glare would start and the smart ones would stay clear. Even close to the end, he had no problem taking care of himself. Hard to believe it's almost 5 years since he and Molly went.

Hemiram

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She was about 3 months old when the eye was removed. I got her 3 months later.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is it possible that something tramatic happened in those first 3 months? Kittens are highly impressionable.

Hemiram

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it possible that something tramatic happened in those first 3 months? Kittens are highly impressionable.
Well, there's no way to know, she was brought to the vet with her eye all messed up from a fight (they think) and they removed it soon after that. I got her about 12 weeks or so later.

Burlews

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds very much like fear aggression and if we knew about her past (especially eye injury) I'm willing to bet that is cause of her behavior.. I've seen cats similar get better with treatment and active behavior modification techniques, exposing them to sounds gradually with an expert in behaviors.. A few things to try at home in meantime is keep low radio or sound machine on (low) so there's a constant "noise" instead of silence or listening to every move you or her brother make (which her senses are heightened in over-drive anyways because she only has 1 eye and instinctively she has to be aware of every odor, movement, noise, alert in any way possible for her survival).. It sounds like her problem is her nervous system explodes when anything out of normal occurs (her brother in trouble, pans clashing, etc) that catches her off-guard or makes her fight-or-flight response explode and is very dangerous.. Routine is key, also a couple areas for her own space where she can go hide or whatever she wants hidden and alone, also play time with toys (on daily basis, especially before anything noisy or out of ordinary is going to happen), and her own play/resting/cat area around where you and cats are together (to differentiate your in charge and you both can share space fine, but you both have your own spaces).. Like a cat tree in living room by window and cat tree in a bedroom, also shelving on a wall or 2 in a room or a tunnel for her can be helpful and a place for her to run to and hide or unwind. (I would also keep her occupied in seperate area alone with calming music or tv before you load dishes or garbage man arrives, visitors ring door bell, anything noisy or confusing to her and I Definetely wouldn't have her around small children or elderly or anyone with immune system compromised until a behavior expert can monitor and assess her..) There's "cat scratch disease" also known as cat scratch fever, or any bacterial infection or abscess, etc, as well as potential nerve damage or skin/eye/ any physical and emotional damage and risk of parasites from nails with bites and/or scratches.. If happens and no skin punctured still rinse well with water and clean with soap and keep area clean and dry, if punctured skin should see doctor to possibly prescribe antibiotics for infection prevention and to monitor.. Also a few aromatherapies can help calm her moods and fears (*they won't prevent they will just help overall feelings*).. Also approaching or activity on the side she can see you is helpful, and I've learned not to show her attention after an episode, be aware of warning signs (which are minimal --if any- with this type of aggression) and do not touch her body, do not hold her, calmly and quickly try to remove yourself and other cat from her area and give her time to calm herself.. Best of luck and hope helps some for you and your furry kids.. Keep us posted please.. a great link is Aggression In Cats

Hemiram

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here's an update. By experimentation, I've found that hissing noises (water was running in all the previous attacks) make her "ready to go", and any loud noise will trigger her to run away for a short time, or attack. The hissing trigger includes the sound of pouring cat food from the bag into their bowl. Every time I do it, she comes running, ready to attack me if Timmy is in the area. If Timmy is NOT there, there is no attack, she just stares at me, but if he is, it's on! Since I figured out what seems to trigger her, I have a frying pan handy to act as a shield, totally frustrating her attacks. She's only had one since I figured out the trigger and run Timmy off, so she has no excuse to go after me. She raged for a couple of minutes, even chasing Timmy around, but soon is back to her overly cuddly self. A couple of days ago, Timmy snuck under my feet and I stepped on his tail. He yelled, and here comes Wink, ready to rumble. She decided not to attack me, but it was obvious she was "close" to doing it. I grabbed a magazine to use as a shield, just in case. And another odd thing, when my friend's dog, a Pit Bull mix is over, the cats love him, she doesn't seem to be bothered by the above triggers, or anything else. I even tried to set her off, and she just sat on the dog's chest, as she always does, and picked her head up for about 5 seconds than dug her head into his fur, as she always does. He seems to totally calm her down. When he is visiting, she doesn't hide, she runs right up to him and starts rubbing on him. If anyone, or any other dog comes over, she's gone for at least 15 minutes or more. My one friend that she likes will cause her to go hide for 15 or so, then come out and want to cuddle with him, anyone else, like his wife is with him, and she's gone, probably for the entire time she's there.