Cat attacking child/manic

catbitcrazy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
5 months ago, I adopted a two year male old cat from a neighbor. He is up to date on his shots and neutered. The neighbor has had him since he was a kitten and there is NO history of abuse.

When I first got the cat, I set up a room for him to have his own space with a litter, food, cat scratch post, toys, and plenty of hiding spaces. Regardless, whenever I entered the room (slowly and quietly) he would yowl and hiss at me from wherever he was hiding and kinda run at me. Whatever. I avoided eye contact and let him have his space.

Within the last two weeks, he ventured from the room to under the living room couch (where he growls at us and tries to attack whenever we sit). He's eating normally and using the litter normally (he has a litter box in the room, the kitchen, and the bathroom). He does it either when we are asleep or not home.(I'd like to throw in I tried a Feliway diffuser for TWO months and it had no affect on his behavior)

A few days ago, his aggression spiked. He's scratched my 4 year old before if she accidently wandered too close to where he is hiding(she does NOT pet him or go near him. She is terrified of him). Now however, if I'm not in the room with her, he will slink out of his hiding spot and run at her and attack her screaming even if she is across the room watching TV quietly. He has made her bleed on THREE occasions now and deep scratches from him. This is clearly not playful behavior.

I do not understand. The previous owner had a son (6) that got along great with the animal. I witnessed with my own eyes him rubbing against the child, purring, and sleeping in his lap. What more can I do with this cat? Since having him, I have not been able to pet him ONCE.He has show ZERO signs of reaching out. He is NOT sick. He is NOT abused. This is NOT my first time adopting a cat.

When I bought this animal, it was with the understanding that I would have a pet, not a menace that I lavish money and affection on while he terrorizes my household.I've considered rehoming him, but the few people I've discussed his behaviour with wanted nothing to do with him.

What are my options. I've tried giving him time, I've tried reading to him (but he tries to attack me), I've tried treats, I've tried catnip (never again. He went psychotic), I've tried feliway, I tried switching foods, switching litters, playing classical music in the background. Help.

itspursonal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bless your heart for having such patience with it. Honestly, I would stop giving a rat's ass about the cat's well being after it intentionally attacks a 4 year old child. Sure, it isn't the cat's fault, but neither is it yours or the child's. I'll leave it up to the more experienced cat lovers to give the practical, useful advice. I just don't think you should feel any guilt about dropping it off at a shelter if you don't have the space to keep it separated from your child at all times.

sarah c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear you are going through this.  My only suggestion would be trying a prescription of prozac or some other drug that could calm him down.  See if you can get a prescription without bringing him to the vet, assuming he 's had a check up in the last little while.  Maybe if he's able to settle down on the drug and you can start to bond with him, eventually he may not need the drug.  I wonder if he's blaming you for taking him away from his family, and he might do better at a different home where he may hypothetically consider them neutral to start of with, instead of the bad guy.  If you decide not to  keep him and he's considered unadoptable, you could try to see how he does as a barn cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catbitcrazy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been considering the shelter a lot lately. I love cats, but the love I have for my womb fruit is incomparable. I have no idea how to get prozac without going to the vet/Dr, let alone for a cat. (I imagine myself driving around a sketchy neighborhood at night trying to acquire some kitty narcotics.) Also, how would I get him to eat it? Crushing it into his food seems like the only viable option. I live in downtown Chicago so there's no barns or anything anywhere. There are quite a few no kill shelters, but I've called and they only accept strays and not pets or something. I've even tried bribing. No bueno.

Honestly, ever since he's ventured into common areas, my daughter and I have basically secured ourselves in my room during the time we're home.Nights are the worst because he walks about yowling while my daughter clings to me in tears.

sarah c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is awful, I'm sorry you're having such a terrible time.  A vet can prescribe drugs for your cat, I was hoping that if you wanted to do this you could phone/email your cats vet so you wouldn't have to go through the ordeal of having to bring him in.  If he doesn't have a vet though, they may want to see him first to make sure there's nothing wrong with him.  Doesn't hurt to ask I guess.  That is crazy that your shelters don't accept pets!  I guess you could try putting an add online, to see if someone is willing to take him in, even on a temporary basis or as a foster, to see if he adapts better.

My mother in law did have to put her violent cat down after she was on antibiotics on seven different occasions and had a severe case of gangrene.  His bites were very deep though, and he wasn't able to be a barn cat bc he had to be declawed as his claws kept splintering and it was painful for him.  I feel like there's more hope for your cat though, bc he has been a normal cat before.  While I'm normally in favor of doing one's best to find a solution for the animal, you and your daughter shouldn't have to live in terror in your own home.

In regards to how to give a pill to a cat, there's a few different ways.  It can be given in a pill popper treat - you may have to cut it in 2 or 3 pieces and wrap it,  as the popper may be too big for cats to swallow. You can crush and hide it in food, but sometimes the smell will put cats off, wrap it in turkey, etc.  If you do go this route, the website cat info.org has a section on how to pill a cat.  Disregard what she says about following up the pill with a syringe of water as your cat obviously won't be open to that.  Hope things get better for you soon!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any more suggestions on what I should do?
I would get him to the vet for a full check up before making any decisions. He could have pain that you don't know about, which is making him act up. Are you absolutely sure that he's neutered? Why did the previous owner decide to rehome?

Medication could help immensely. Don't give up yet!

catbitcrazy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've taken him to the vet twice already and did the whole sha-bang (once within the first week i got himto get him neutered and up to date on shots and again a little over a month ago. It was HELL in a handbag--or cat carrier in this case). He's in perfect health.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've taken him to the vet twice already and did the whole sha-bang (once within the first week i got himto get him neutered and up to date on shots and again a little over a month ago. It was HELL in a handbag--or cat carrier in this case). He's in perfect health.
Call your vet. Explain that things have gone downhill and that your need to consider anti-anxiety medication or rehome. You can hide the pill in a treat.

Why did the neighbor rehome?

catbitcrazy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was told it was because they couldn't afford caring for him anymore. Idk, I love cats, but having to resort to medicating a cat just so he won't attack seems like a lot of effort and I can't rehome without disclosing his behavioral problems.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I've made my decision on how to handle this situation.

sarah c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I shouldn't add anything if you've made your decision, however it may be worth asking his former owner if they'll take him back considering the circumstances.  There are occasionally some animals who are so heartbroken to loose their companion they have a hard, or impossible time moving on.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was told it was because they couldn't afford caring for him anymore. Idk, I love cats, but having to resort to medicating a cat just so he won't attack seems like a lot of effort and I can't rehome without disclosing his behavioral problems.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I've made my decision on how to handle this situation.
If there is something wrong with the cat, medicating him will relieve his anxiety and allow him to lead a healthy, happy life. He will not be a zombie. Just like people sometimes have mental health issues, and need support, cats can too.

What did you decide?

kirothecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It seems like he cant get over the loss of his old family. How old is the cat? Im guessing he is 2-5 because of his behavior. I know i shouldn't give you advice since you already made up your mind but maybe call a cat behaviorist?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm assuming that you decided to put the cat down? It would help others if you came back and shared your experience.