Cat attacked head

specialkay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've recently taken in a stray cat. At first she would just hide in the closet, but yesterday she let me pet her and she loved it!
Today i was petting her and she was doing those lovey head bumps with me, midway through she scratched my head! Then she hissed and.backed away a lil bit. After that she seemed fine, she just sat down, did a cute lil meow and started eating her food.

Im wondering if maybe she just heard a noise and it spooked her or something. Or maybe i need to give her some space? I just dont want anything to be wrong.
Thank you

agentspooky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Strays can be crazy, they just aren't used to being with people that much. It could also be partly because she isn't spayed. Have you taken her to a vet yet? I would do that first thing. After you've had some general stuff done like getting her spayed, deflead, dewormed, tested for FIV/FeLV, I would just take things slowly and give her time to become less freaked out and more "at home". Kudos for taking her in, I'm sure she's better off having a place to live with a caring person.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's just going to take time.  The initial vetting will help clear up anything physical that might be going on.  I think cats are easily overstimulated by human contact even when their used to it so that's probably also part of it.  Just be patient she will come around completely.