Cat attack!

asp1093

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

I could use a little help! I have had my cat for about 2 years. About 6 months ago, we moved in with my family of 4 other people, it took him a little getting used to, but he seems to have adjusted well and he loves the attention.

Recently we realized he doesn’t like dogs, I knew he had some issues with his previous owner’s dog before, but he gets extremely aggressive with dogs.

Yesterday a family friends stopped by with a dog, the dog made her way up onto our front porch, and as soon as my dad opened the door to go outside the cat took off and attacked the dog. My dad then grabbed my cat, brought him back inside, the cat then proceeded to attack my dad. He tore my dad’s right forearm apart! That’s about the time I came running into the room to take care of the situation because my cat usually calms down with me around! We got the situation calmed down, my dad got cleaned up and about half an hour later we let the cat out of the basement that I had shut him in (his litter and food is down there as well, that’s where I currently reside) my cat then cautiously walked through the house to make sure the dog was nowhere around. About 10 minutes after being let out of the basement, he just randomly attacked my dad’s leg again, after he had changed his pants and gotten cleaned up. As I tried to take care of the situation again, he jumped up and scratched my leg! So I got him under control again, shut him in the basement again! And I cleaned myself up this time.

later that night as I am at work and the cat has had plenty of time to calm down, we had family over to visit and he just randomly attacked my cousin’s leg. He has never attacked my cousin before, and they come to visit quite frequently.

Then again, all day today, he has been acting strange. He has been kind of cautiously wandering through the house, and has been hissing occasionally at my dad. I left for work, he was fine all day, then out of the blue at around 7:30 my mom called me to tell me they shut the cat in the basement for attacking my dad’s leg AGAIN!!

He has never attacked another person in the 2 years I’ve had him and now this is 4 incidents in less than 36 hours… My parents are terrified of him now and I feel awful because he is normally so cuddly and loving. It is at the point where if it happens again, I may have to look into re-homing him! I have an appointment with the vet tomorrow morning, can anybody help my out?

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Sorry that your going through this.
It sounds like a type of re-directed aggression, where he became scared and lashed out at your dad and now you. TCS has this article that explains it: Re-directed Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

These articles might be helpful as well:
Why Do Cats Attack? – TheCatSite Articles
Cat Aggression Toward People – TheCatSite Articles

It’s good that your bringing him to the vet just to make sure he isn’t suffering from any medical issues that would change his behavior. It definitely sounds like the dog set him off and his aggression was then redirected onto you and your family. As you said you know his normal personality and that he has never acted like this in the past. The dog definitely triggered him and he still seems to be affected by it. Hopefully you receive some more helpful information from your vet. Best of luck to you and your kitty :)