Cat Ate Unknown Curling Ribbon Length

Kgraham1511

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So long story short about 24 hours ago my cat unknowingly to me ate some curling ribbon off a present. And about 24 hours after eating the ribbon he passed about 4 inches of it in his stool.

I have always been vigilant about no string be left out. We flush our floss down the toilet.

He went to the vet ER last night. They did a physical exam and said he stomach seemed pretty empty and no ribbon caught under his tongue.

Also he gets 1/8 teaspoon miralax and metamucil for his IBD daily.

My question is could he still have some left in his stomach or does is usually pass all at once? He is acting normally and no vomiting or lethargy and eating normally.

Thanks in advance.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Kate once ate part of a shoelace....probably about 3 inches. It passed in one piece and the piece that passed measured up to what was missing when compared to the intact shoelace. You were very proactive and I am guessing that given he uses miralax and metamucil that it probably passed. Are you concerned that he ate more than the 4 inches?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kgraham1511

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I am not sure how much he ate. It seems it might have been all pooped out.

So that's why I was wondering if it all comes out at once or if he might still have some in his stomach even though he pooped a lot out.

Kgraham1511

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He just pooped and no ribbon! His poop was a little soft which is not uncommon for him.

So guessing if he is pooping normally past 24 hours of passing the ribbon we are in the clear?

Not sure if they can still pass stool and be developing am obstruction.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I would ask your vet if there is still any danger. Four inches sounds like a lot to eat and that is why I guess that might have been all of it, unless this boy has a history of eating large amounts of foreign objects.

Kgraham1511

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He doesn't have a history of eating large amounts of string, thread or anything.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:lol:well you can always collect the poop and smash it up in a cup or container with some water to search for more ribbon i did that with graycie before when i thought she ate a piece of plastic from a critter cage i had :lol:i found the piece in question few days later while cleaning:lol:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
This happened to my cat years ago. The vet simply pulled it out. I don't think you have anything to worry about. That was probably it. One strand. Anything else will come out on its own