Cat Ate Tinfoil

ericajewett94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, Im hoping someone can help me out.

I baked some chicken last night on tin foil and I threw it away. When I came home from work today I noticed the trash was knocked over and the tinfoil was chewed up.
In my room was a pile of vomit with lots of tinfoil in it.
My cat is a 3 year old Maine coon.
She ate all her food earlier but after eating she seemed like she wasn't feeling very good. She threw up all her food about 15 mins later, but this second vomit only had one small piece of foil in it and the rest was all food. Do you think maybe she got it all out the first vomit?
I think this second vomit may be because I made the stupid mistake of feeding her both dry and wet food at the same time. But I'd like to see what everyone else thinks as well.
This second one happened about 20 mins ago, and she seems a little more energetic now. She's walking around wagging her tail and wants to be pet.
So what should I do? Should I just keep an eye on her and watch for more serious symptoms or should I take her to the emergency vet?
I am really nervous! I appreciate anyone's help with this. I'm kicking myself for not being more careful.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would keep an eye on her. Offer her smaller servings of wet food and see what happens. If she continues throwing up, stops eating, stops pooping, and starts to feel poorly or hides, then get her to the vet.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take her to the vet. A X-ray will show if there is any aluminum foil left. Better safe than sorry. She deserves it!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep an eye on her. You can maybe offer a small pat of butter if you think she needs a little extra help passing any remaining foil. As long as she's acting normally and eating normally, this will pass. One way or another. :D If she stops eating or shows signs of lethargy, then take her in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ericajewett94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for your help everyone! I gave her a few treats and some laxatone natural and she hasn't thrown up. Shes been drinking water too. I pulled out her favorite toy and she went right after it. She seems pretty much normal now. I will feed her wet food in the morning like I normally do and if she throws up again I will definitely take her to the vet.
Thank you :)

ericajewett94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Quick update!
So she has been eating with no vomiting at all. She has been running around, playing, and sleeping her normal amount. She also used the litter box last night.
I think she got all the foil out of her when she vomited that day because she has been perfectly fine since then. But I will mention it at her next appt.
Thanks everyone for your help I appreciate it :)
IMG_20181207_171129_293.jpg

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feel for you. My cats did that once. Dh left the pantry open and they got into the foil ball in the trash.
Sadly today DH left a rubberband downstairs and mittens has been down there to avoid levi. Well its gone and no where to be found :/ I'm so sick thinking she ate it and it won't pass :(

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She's beautiful! I'm so glad she's alright. I would invest in a push pedal garbage can if I were you. (Between $30-$40) I have one like this:

No lip for the animals to catch onto and pull open. I was terribly worried about my dog after a friend lost hers to suffocation in a Cheeto bag that it had pulled from the trash while she was at work. This has completely stopped any of my pets from getting into the trash.
Better safe than sorry!

ericajewett94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, I tell her she's pretty all the time :)
I will definitely be buying a locking trash can just like that, I've got one picked out already!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are now cutting all chip bags, all dog and cat food bags into strips to throw away. Sometimes they aren't the ones that suck around the animal's head and suffocate him/her, it can happen to cats too. But better to cut up too many than one too few.