Cat ate morning glory

amyg71177

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sunday my 8 y.o. cat ate about one-third of a leaf from a Morning Glory plant.  I called the vet immediately and they told me the symptoms to watch for.  My kitty has been fine.  He's eating, drinking, and pottying normally and has normal disposition. 

When I called to follow up with the vet's office on Monday, the receptionist got on my case for not calling the Pet Poison Center.  She said he could have problems that might not surface for a couple weeks.

Is this true?  Has anyone else's cat eaten morning glory?  Were they okay?  Do offices get a kick-back from referrals?

THANK YOU!

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/morning-glory/

If it has been a couple of days with no symptoms, I would think it would be fine.  I don't think your vet would get a kick back from referring you to the helpline since anyone can find it with a simple Google search.  They were probably just being cautious and they don't know themselves, so they don't want you showing up in a week or two with a cat that is too far gone to help.

I jumped right on here with the same feeling, "Don't message us, go to the poison control center hotline."  And then I noticed it has been a couple of days, so I decided to check out what chemicals are present in morning glories. The main chemicals in the morning glory is usually in the seeds, and they are all chemicals related to LSD and other feel-good drugs.  They are not poisons that are going to sneak up on him and kill him in the future.  If he was tripping at all, he's over it now.  While you could probably make him very sick with a concentrated dose of those things. the amount in 1/3 leaf of a morning glory plant is probably not enough to do anything even immediately.

Lilies, on the other hand, COULD be fatal, so if you have any of those around, keep him away from them or dig them out.

http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/cat-health/cat-toxins-poisons/easter-lily-poisoning-cats

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

amyg71177

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice.  I was hoping that since he appeared to be normal and eating,drinking, pottying normally, that we'd be safe.  I did read that it was the seeds that were the most dangerous, but I couldn't find ANYTHING about leaves. 

And nope!  No lilies. 

THANK YOU!