Cat Ate Ice Cream??

Kayeff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tonight I had a bowl of ice cream (Halo Top Birthday Cake flavor to be exact) and after finishing it I set the bowl on my night stand. Awhile later I decided to go take a bath and had completely forgotten about the bowl on my nightstand. When I came back, the bowl was licked COMPLETELY clean, spoon and everything. There wasn’t anything left except for a bit that was melted. I’m just wondering, would this hurt my cat? I know it’s dairy and therefore not good for them but it’s such a little amount. Should I be expecting anything more than an upset stomach?

Sorry if this is a silly question, just get a bit paranoid!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So it was just the residue on the bowl that she ate? I'd say it's more than likely no big deal. My Sophie loves vanilla ice cream and she gets a bit every now and then.

Such a small amount shouldn't upset her stomach at all.

It's not a silly question. There's no such thing. Ask away. We're here to help.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
;) If it was really a tiny amount, it shouldn't be an issue. Maybe some diarrhea if s/he isn't used to any dairy, and if there was a lot of richness to it (which based on the name, it probably was).

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was with my sister in Safeway last night and she brought some ice cream especially made for dogs. Her Boston Terriers love it. I wonder if they make any ice cream for cats.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was with my sister in Safeway last night and she brought some ice cream especially made for dogs. Her Boston Terriers love it. I wonder if they make any ice cream for cats.
According to Sophie, vanilla ice cream is for cats. Only the most expensive brands though. The cheap stuff is for humans.

They used to make a frozen treat for cats called Cool Claws. I don't think it exists any longer. The website no longer exists.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are lactose-intolerant, and some aren't. Mingo throws up right away after eating milk, but Lily doesn't, and since she loves ice cream, I always leave a little for her in the bowl to enjoy.

Your cat will be fine. He or she has found a new treat!

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would've been more concerned about the artificial sweetener than the small amount of dairy, but it looks like Halo Top is made with one that is safe for cats. Next time you have it she'll probably make you share! :lol: