Cat ate expired wet food packet infested with maggots

Dheeksha

Black Cats are full of love ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 5 month old kitten ate expired wet food packet which was infested with maggots just now. I don't know what to do. What should I do. I don't know it is there in my home. How to induce vomiting to the kitten? I am not able to think properly. It is sunday vet hospitals are all closed

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
There's nothing wrong with eating raw maggots Dheeksha Dheeksha They won't do the kitten any harm. Was the food very bad or just past the sell by date? Being out of date doesn't always mean it's rotten. Don't try to induce vomiting. Just keep an eye on your kitten. If the food was bad he'll start to vomit himself. If it was just out of date he'll be OK.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
There's nothing wrong with eating raw maggots Dheeksha Dheeksha They won't do the kitten any harm. Was the food very bad or just past the sell by date? Being out of date doesn't always mean it's rotten. Don't try to induce vomiting. Just keep an eye on your kitten. If the food was bad he'll start to vomit himself. If it was just out of date he'll be OK.
The expire date of the food is july of 2023. It is smelling bad.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
How is the kitten acting? Did he throw up?
He is acting normal. He didn't throw up.
The food pouch has maggots in it.. is it contaminated with bacteria?
I contacted some vets they said it doesn't cause any harm. If he gets diarrhea they told me to bring him to the hospital tomorrow.
How long will it take to show any symptoms if there's food poisoning?

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He will show symptoms within 24 hours. The main thing is to observe him and see how he is acting. Cat's digestive systems are really different from ours, that is why they can drink out of disgusting poopy birdbaths and be fine. As long a no diarrhea occurs or he starts hiding he is fine. Watch him and make sure he is eating, drinking, and using the litterbox OK. I myself have ate things expired that long and am OK. The maggots mean it has been open a while though. Please come back and tell us how he is doing!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
As it's already been mentioned ,just keep an eye on the little one that he is eating,drinking and eliminating normally- he is only 5 months old so his immune system is not as strong as a kitty over 6 months so don't panic but be observing

He may well have a little loose stool at first but again,don't panic and do not look to induce vomiting- bad or rotten food ingested one time might may not cause any symptoms at all - and maggots are disgusting but they either pass through the animal undigested or just add extra protein- lol

The packet may have had fly eggs in it that lie dormant a few months then hatch or the food spoiled - if there's no vomiting or diarrhea then all is well

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
He will show symptoms within 24 hours. The main thing is to observe him and see how he is acting. Cat's digestive systems are really different from ours, that is why they can drink out of disgusting poopy birdbaths and be fine. As long a no diarrhea occurs or he starts hiding he is fine. Watch him and make sure he is eating, drinking, and using the litterbox OK. I myself have ate things expired that long and am OK. The maggots mean it has been open a while though. Please come back and tell us how he is doing!
di and bob di and bob He is eating and drinking normal. There's no vomiting or diarrhea as well. So there won't be any problem, right?
Kwik Kwik Norachan Norachan

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
di and bob di and bob He is eating and drinking normal. There's no vomiting or diarrhea as well. So there won't be any problem, right?
Kwik Kwik Norachan Norachan
Hi there!You know what I would do? I'd take a moment and write a letter( a real letter,snail mail-lol) to the cat food company to let them know what my experience(& worry) was.

We don't know if ,as I mentioned,there were flies buzzing around at the plant when processing,packaging or if a seal was broken so it cannot hurt to make your complaint known--perhaps it's not an isolated incident and they may look into what's going on ( or isn't going on) but who knows,maybe you'll get some coupons in a reply for your troubles