Cat Ate Dental Floss!

suzan30

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my kitties knocked over the trash can in the bathroom and apparently ate a piece of dental floss. I found two puddles of vomit with little pieces of thread in it. He is running around as usual and not acting sick. Do you think he needs to be seen by a vet?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd keep an eye on the cat for another day. If the cat continues to vomit or stops eating, then you need to take him to the vet right away.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Personally, yes, I would go to the vet for floss, because it can easily turn into a bowel obstruction if it doesn't pass cleanly. It's a judgment call, but I would err on the side of medical advice.

In the meantime or if you decide on a wait and see approach, if you see floss coming out of your cat's bottom, make sure you do not pull on it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

suzan30

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the responses. I watched him carefully and there was no vomiting or other signs of distress, and he has been eating and pooping, so I think he is ok. What a scare, though!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Blakeney Green Blakeney Green and perhaps if you are hesitant to go to the vet I would highly suggest calling and asking their opinion, i.e. better to be safe than sorry. ;) We had a cat that also discovered the bathroom trash once he found dental floss in it so I moved it inside the vanity where he could no longer get to it. Good luck!