cat ate a lizard!

mrsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 8-ish-year-old cat, Mean Kitty, is a slug.  She doesn't play with toys, doesn't respond to catnip, hates other animals, won't let anyone hold her.  She's never in a hurry to get anywhere, ever.  She only likes to go out on the lanai and lay by the pool in the sun, or sleep in a secret tent where nobody can see her.

Today I let her out on the lanai and she immediately raced over to the corner and grabbed a lizard.  I haven't seen her move that fast in years.  In her younger days she would catch a lizard and hold it in her mouth, walk up to the door and meow to get our attention (and the lizard would fall out and run off, and she'd start over again).  Then she'd torture it and leave its carcass by the door.

This time after she caught the lizard, she ate it.  SHE ATE THE WHOLE THING, ALIVE, IN TWO GULPS WITH ITS LEGS KICKING AND EVERYTHING.  Right in front of me.

These are normal run-of-the-mill brown lizards (I'm in FL), non-poisonous. But should I be concerned that she isn't getting enough to eat? Or should I just be glad that she's finally having a good time and not sulking around the house all day?  (;

"You didn't see nothin'."

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, I can't offer any advice, but can't wait to see what everyone has to say, as I have wondered the same. Is it safe?  Angel has played w/ them, but not sure if he has ever eaten one. He likes to look for them to play w/.

He too will pick one up, just to let it go, so he can chase it & repeat.  I'm in NC, so have seen the brown ones & green as well.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Perfectly fine! Natural, in fact. :lol3: In studies of feral cats' diets, herpetofauna will be up to 7% of their diet. :D

What a cutie she is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mighty hunter indeed! I'm sure she was most impressed with herself even if you weren't!
I wouldn't worry either. When we were kids in Singapore, our cat caught and ate a bit of a huge iguana-type lizard. Couldn't believe that she got it! Cats are impressive predators after all.
Love how her eyes match the placemats. :)

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is ADORABLE lol.

THose chamelans are harmless & full of protein actually. She will be fine LOL... Lizard a la mode I suppose is her delicacy. Look at those eyes and paws she is just adorable. Let her have the lizard, get a video next time lol

Last edited:

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's just being a CAT! Bless her!

Perfectly fine and natural, I'd say.

She's finally "got a life!"

Let her out on the lanai more often, I say.

What a lovely kitty! You do love her, don't you?

Robin

courtdawn333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my Kitty used to catch and eat all kinds of lil creatures!! He kept our house and yards pest free!! Sounds like yours is doing the same!

annie_belle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess now you know her motivation!

The first time I faced my "lizard dilema"...Mr. B, our rescued woodsy cat, came walking up the path from the garage, sat down looking at me...as I was bending down to pet him, I spied a long tail wiggling back and forth...from his mouth!  It was years ago, and I can't remember the outcome...just the image of that tail sticking out of his mouth!

Cats...just being cats!

Until next time...Annie

peekasoph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my sister lives in fl and her siamese used to be let out on her lanai. i came for a visit once and ohhh- how i remember it... i woke up to my sister screaming "get it out of here, zach!" and i ran downstairs to find a trail of blood streaked across the living room tile and Zach proudly holding the lizard in his mouth. lol. Cats being cats indeed.