Cat asthma question again

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there anything else I can do for my cat, he's finally down to 1 or 2 asthma attacks a week, but it feels like to much. His new water bowl comes today switching from plastic to metal, his food bowl is already ceramic. While I don't believe essential oils is a cure all, I do think they have their time and place, like my migraines and peppermint or lavender, but I was wondering are there any that will help with his asthma? I already have an air purifier but to tell the truth I think he acts up more when I have it going then not....

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would think essential oils / anything scented would aggravate the asthma :think:

Is your cat on any medication for the asthma?

Have you tried general home cleaning tips for asthmatic people?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would think essential oils / anything scented would aggravate the asthma :think:

Is your cat on any medication for the asthma?

Have you tried general home cleaning tips for asthmatic people?

Yes hes on the prednisone daily and has a recuse inhaler, I also have asthma so I've been doing alot of stuff already.

moomin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need that advice too.
In the last couple of months I've bought a humidifier (not that helpful for us) so now I think about air purifier.
Got new anti dust litter.
Got rid of carpets.
Mostly wet mopping floors all the time.
Got rid of anything scented.
Got anti allergies blanket for her.

Started her on more powerful probiotics. I want to try some new supplements so if anyone has any recommendation would be really grateful.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I need that advice too.
In the last couple of months I've bought a humidifier (not that helpful for us) so now I think about air purifier.
Got new anti dust litter.
Got rid of carpets.
Mostly wet mopping floors all the time.
Got rid of anything scented.
Got anti allergies blanket for her.

Started her on more powerful probiotics. I want to try some new supplements so if anyone has any recommendation would be really grateful.
Oh my! I wish I could get rid of the carpets for the cat and me but I'm in a stupid rental. What litter did you switch to? I would like to get something new but not sure if I have anything local.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Essential oils are toxic to cats. If you have carpet, vacuum daily. Reduce/eliminate any kind of candles, air fresheners, or plug ins. Talk to your vet about prednisolone, flovent, or using a nebulizer. We give our asthmatic kitty prednisolone as needed (usually every few days) and do nebulizer treatments with her, that seem to help more than the pred.

Caannes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Youre doing a lot to help your kitty but I agree with others, no essential oils. When my cat was first diagnosed it took quite a while to get his symptoms under control. Luckily I own not rent so my life style is around his asthma: no carpet, only one room with drapes that get washed twice a month (he doesn’t go into that room, it’s for guests). Shades everywhere else that can be wiped down/vacuumed. Leather or wood furniture. Things that seemed to get him under control: time on the inhalers (h e was a shelter boy so I’m sure he had a few years of untreated asthma); I religiously keep humidity at 48% (in the desert this means humidifiers in all rooms 24/7); besides his inhalers he now takes Zyrtec (he was started on it for runny eyes by my vet and his asthma seemed so much better I asked her if I could keep him on a low dose)

I can remember sleepless nights with him in a bathroom back in the bad old days. I wish you luck

moomin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my! I wish I could get rid of the carpets for the cat and me but I'm in a stupid rental. What litter did you switch to? I would like to get something new but not sure if I have anything local.
Paper litter. For her is fine, no dust. She had corn based litter before and I noticed she was too sniffly around that. No sneezing but just really weird sniffling, unusual for her. I think her immunity got so much weaker last year and everything is bothering her at once. I'm trying hard to remove the dust. But it's a struggle of course so hopefully air purifier will help.

But that litter is pretty unconvenient, gets soggy and weird so I just put a bit of litter, and after she's done I threw all out, wash the litter box and put fresh litter in. We rotate a lot of boxes and have them all clean on hand for her. Will see how that goes.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could try grass seed litter. That’s what I use for my asthmatic kitty. Also, be aware that long time oral prednisolone use can cause side effects like diabetes. I switched my cat to inhaled steroids five months ago and she has been asthma free since. It takes a while to train but it is worth it.

Also agree with everyone else on no essential oils, scented air fresheners, etc. Air purifiers help.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could try grass seed litter. That’s what I use for my asthmatic kitty. Also, be aware that long time oral prednisolone use can cause side effects like diabetes. I switched my cat to inhaled steroids five months ago and she has been asthma free since. It takes a while to train but it is worth it.

Also agree with everyone else on no essential oils, scented air fresheners, etc. Air purifiers help.
So with the inhaled steroids people are saying to use a canada pharmacy what are the names of the recommended ones?

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
also i'ld like to know brand names of the litters you guys are using if you don't mind to share them. Im currently using the tidy cats, light weight 24/7 litter, it does say its 99% dust free.....

moomin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, grass seed litter sounds interesting, I will see if I can find something online.
I'm using Super Benek Corn clumping litter. I feel it isn't dusty at all but my cat is weird around that litter. My other cat loves it.
Paper litter is Sanicat paper pellets but I wouldn't recommend it for long term use so will look out for something else. We're in Europe.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wanted to update on a rely I got from my vet:
Chronic steroid use, does have a risk of pancreatic inflammation, which can lead to diabetes. This is a similar risk as obesity in cats can lead to diabetes. It is a challenge in cases like Tom's because most cats like him require steroids in order to breath well at all. There is always a risk of diabetes, it is lower typically if the steroids are used at the lowest possible dose, but he also has to be able to breath to do daily functions. Cat patients that I have had on inhaler medications, typically also required steroids along with the inhalers.
I can look into additional inhaled medication for Tom, but as far as ordering from Canadian pharmacies, that is something that you would have to investigate and I cannot attest to the safety of any drugs ordered from another country. I will do some additional research on alternate medications and get back to you.

Caannes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wanted to update on a rely I got from my vet: Chronic steroid use, does have a risk of pancreatic inflammation, which can lead to diabetes. This is a similar risk as obesity in cats can lead to diabetes. It is a challenge in cases like Tom's because most cats like him require steroids in order to breath well at all. There is always a risk of diabetes, it is lower typically if the steroids are used at the lowest possible dose, but he also has to be able to breath to do daily functions. Cat patients that I have had on inhaler medications, typically also required steroids along with the inhalers. I can look into additional inhaled medication for Tom, but as far as ordering from Canadian pharmacies, that is something that you would have to investigate and I cannot attest to the safety of any drugs ordered from another country. I will do some additional research on alternate medications and get back to you.
Wanted to update on a rely I got from my vet: Chronic steroid use, does have a risk of pancreatic inflammation, which can lead to diabetes. This is a similar risk as obesity in cats can lead to diabetes. It is a challenge in cases like Tom's because most cats like him require steroids in order to breath well at all. There is always a risk of diabetes, it is lower typically if the steroids are used at the lowest possible dose, but he also has to be able to breath to do daily functions. Cat patients that I have had on inhaler medications, typically also required steroids along with the inhalers. I can look into additional inhaled medication for Tom, but as far as ordering from Canadian pharmacies, that is something that you would have to investigate and I cannot attest to the safety of any drugs ordered from another country. I will do some additional research on alternate medications and get back to you.
each cat is different I suppose but mine needed oral steroids as a rescue maybe 2-3 times a year his first 2-4 years (thankfully it’s been so long I can’t recall exactly). Then once a year and for many years I’ve gotten a prescription just in case and not used it or his rescue inhaler, just his steroid inhaler. If your goal is not needing the steroid inhaler that may not be possible. I agree, the steroid inhaler is pricey.
I will be back in a few min with litter and pharmacy recommendations—cats are calling

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
each cat is different I suppose but mine needed oral steroids as a rescue maybe 2-3 times a year his first 2-4 years (thankfully it’s been so long I can’t recall exactly). Then once a year and for many years I’ve gotten a prescription just in case and not used it or his rescue inhaler, just his steroid inhaler. If your goal is not needing the steroid inhaler that may not be possible. I agree, the steroid inhaler is pricey.
I will be back in a few min with litter and pharmacy recommendations—cats are calling
I want to get him of the pill since it has a greater change of diabetes.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update from my Vet:

I have done additional research for Tom. The inhaled option for medication would be Fluticasone Proprionate (Flovent) which is an inhaled steroid. It is possible that this may cause less side effects than oral prednisolone. When using the Flovent it is dosed at 44 micrograms/puff - 1 puff every 12 hours continuously (every day). There is a 2 week loading period when starting the Flovent inhaler until it reaches maximum effectiveness. This means that he will still require oral steroids as well as the inhaler for at least 2 weeks. The Flovent inhalers are approximately $200 out of pocket cost at local pharmacies. Each canister will provide approximately 120 puffs.

Alternately, we may try a medication called cyclosporine in the form of atopica for cats. This is an immune mediating medication that is used in cats that have diseases where we cannot use steroids. This is an oral liquid medication that is given every 12 hours initially and then decreased to the lowest effective dose. The approximate cost of this medication is $100 per bottle and the bottle would give approximately 300 doses, so it would last quite some time. With this medication, I would also recommend approximately 1-2 weeks where Tom receives the new medication as well as the Prednisolone and then slowly taper off the prednisolone.

I can write a prescription for the Flovent inhaler, if you choose to go that direction, and you can use it at the pharmacy of your choice.

If you would like to try the cyclosporine as an alternate, I can order that into the clinic for you to pick up.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has anyone used this site?
PetSupply

I called them and they are in Canada, but they were being super pushy about me making an account right then and there on the phone. I don't know how I feel about that.

Last edited:

Caannes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree about off oral steroids. My boy was never on them alone, only as he started steroid inhalers and when he had break through problems.
Right now I MIGHT BE USING Canada Cloud Pharmacy | Brick & Mortar Online Canadian Pharmacy
Over the years some sites I used closed which makes me suspect they weren’t good (despite recommendations)—in between those sites I bought in US pharmacies (sticker shock!!!). I really like this one: they are excellent about calling/emailing for questions or problems and the have an express shipping that’s important to me bc I live in an area that gets over 100 in summer so I don’t want his meds cooking enroute. That said, using mail order is always risky for counterfeits, and actually technically illegal which is why I MIGHT BE USING. And why vets will hand you the script and not want to be involved with where you fill it. In 2020 Methos’ shipment from another pharmacy got stopped by customs at the height of the Covid panic; I scrambled to get an inhaler from the local pharmacy and then called many sites to try to figure out if it sounded like they were just a guy working out of his kitchen. But I can’t guarantee them as legitimate. If you have insurance you might want to get his inhaler here to start then when you know he’s doing well use a Canadian pharmacy…otherwise your vet may just say the problem is the Canadian pharmacy.

I use frisco multi cat grass litter. It looks and feels like regular litter but is very lightweight. Before that I used SmartCat grass litter but the store and chewys both kept running out.They seem similar. Frisco is only unscented, I don’t recall if smartcat had scented but I know they had unscented since that’s all I ever buy

good luck!

Caannes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
also one other buying tip: mail order pharmacies generally discount if you buy three inhalers at a time (what a human would be using bc humans get 2 puffs twice a day). But written “one puff twice a day” the most they can mail out is two inhalers. I ask my vet (who admittedly trusts me and knows I’m an MD) to write “UAD #3 RF3” (use as directed dispense 3 inhalers with 3 refills) so the pharmacy will ship out 3 at a time. This also lets me “stock up” a bit so I can avoid shipping at the hottest part of summer.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree about off oral steroids. My boy was never on them alone, only as he started steroid inhalers and when he had break through problems.
Right now I MIGHT BE USING Canada Cloud Pharmacy | Brick & Mortar Online Canadian Pharmacy
Over the years some sites I used closed which makes me suspect they weren’t good (despite recommendations)—in between those sites I bought in US pharmacies (sticker shock!!!). I really like this one: they are excellent about calling/emailing for questions or problems and the have an express shipping that’s important to me bc I live in an area that gets over 100 in summer so I don’t want his meds cooking enroute. That said, using mail order is always risky for counterfeits, and actually technically illegal which is why I MIGHT BE USING. And why vets will hand you the script and not want to be involved with where you fill it. In 2020 Methos’ shipment from another pharmacy got stopped by customs at the height of the Covid panic; I scrambled to get an inhaler from the local pharmacy and then called many sites to try to figure out if it sounded like they were just a guy working out of his kitchen. But I can’t guarantee them as legitimate. If you have insurance you might want to get his inhaler here to start then when you know he’s doing well use a Canadian pharmacy…otherwise your vet may just say the problem is the Canadian pharmacy.

I use frisco multi cat grass litter. It looks and feels like regular litter but is very lightweight. Before that I used SmartCat grass litter but the store and chewys both kept running out.They seem similar. Frisco is only unscented, I don’t recall if smartcat had scented but I know they had unscented since that’s all I ever buy

good luck!
Do you think I can mix it with the litter I currently have to use up what I have?