Cat Anxiety

pauliecat333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 7 yr old cat is losing his hair and I’m sure it’s from anxiety. Last year we introduced a new kitten and even though we did it gradually, they do not get along. Has anyone tried an over the counter calming medicine I could try? We’re out of work and I cannot take my old boy to the vet :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. See below for articles on the (supposed) best calming products - although there are a few on these lists that many members on this site have used with success. You might just call your vet and ask what they would recommend, or see if they feel any of the ones on this list are acceptable to them. If you have a good rapport with your vet, I am sure they would be happy to talk to you about your options over the phone. I also included an article from petmd.com about anxiety in cats in general.

Also, enrichment techniques such as bird/squirrel videos and window perches can help with anxiety too. And, making sure he has places to retreat to away from the new kitten/cat. A heartbeat toy or ticking clock can be soothing to some cats too!

The 8 Best Calming Aids for Cats in 2021 (thesprucepets.com)
5 Best Calming Products for Cats - Apr. 2021 - BestReviews
6 Cat Calming Products to Help Ease Cat Anxiety | PetMD

Hopefully, you will soon be able to get your cat checked out by your vet - 7 years old is closing in on what is considered to be a senior cat, so having a full scope check up is always a good idea at this point in time of his life.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You might also try chamomile tea. Buy the bags at the grocery store, plain chamomile, not blended. Brew a cup, chill it in the fridge, and administer 1-3 teaspoonfuls, tablespoonfuls for cats 11 pounds or more, per dose up to three times a day via syringe or medicine dropper. I recommend buying the tea bags because they are all made from the German variety of chamomile (no matter where they are grown), which is medicinally active and safe for cats in proper dosages. The English variety that grows in most gardens is NEITHER.