Cat Anxiety

semeagher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I posted a little while ago about trying an issue with one of my cats. I am posting again with some questions about the same cat. We have gotten to the point that our cat Phaedra, is so anxious about being left alone (with her sister Lily) in the house and using the litter box that we have put her on anti-anxiety drugs. She a UTI earlier this month and that seemed to increase her litter box aversion to include urination, as well as defecation. She is not gabapentin for immediate anxiety and Prozac for the long term. I will need to speak with a Vet I know, but it doesn't seem to be helping yet. Things came to head last week when she let her bladder go on our bed while sleeping with my husband and me in the middle of the night. She did the same thing last night and once she pooped it was clear she had been holding it is constipated. She has a real fear of using the litter box for defecting as she ate and passed a penny once. We are using cat attract litter. My question is one does anyone know if constipation is a side effect of gabapentin (I will ask my vet my other questions about why she is still having issues, if you have an idea though feel free to say something, we are going to keep her on the meds though). Also, what are some other good litters and litter boxes to try?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't think I am familiar with your previous post. How old is Phaedra? Incontinence can accompany a bladder infection and/or inflammation, especially in older cats. I just experienced that with Feeby. Also, if anxiety is part of her problem, has the vet talked to you about cystitis? Bladder inflammation - with or without a UTI - can also cause peeing issues. And, sometimes anti-inflammatory meds are needed to reduce the inflammation. A simple x-ray can tell if the bladder wall has thickened, which is common in cystitis as well as bladder inflammation.

I am guessing that most pain meds can attribute to constipation - seems so in humans, so why not cats? Don't know if Prozac might as well; you could look up side effects for that. You could talk to the vet about something as simple as adding a bit of Miralax to help offset any constipation.

Don't know what litter boxes/litter you have already tried. But, if you notice she tends to go on soft stuff, you could try a low sided box with puppy pee pads, or even just puppy pee pads on the floor without a litter box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

semeagher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Phaedra is 12 years old...and they had tested her last Sunday before I went in with her for urine issues. She has had crystals and UTI frequently. The pee pads are a good idea. I can ask about the miralax as well.