Cat Anxiety

yasika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,I need some help about my cat. He is 1 and a half years old and one of my friends rescued him from a street where the other big cats kept attacking and bothering him when he was 45 days old. He is mostly a sweet,social,good cat.he is very okay when he is in the house.he is okay with our friends or our guests but when it comes to another animal,he gets very stressed out,he hisses at them and he hide somewhere in the house.even if it is a small kitten.I want for him to be okay near the other pets but i don't know what to do. i fear that if i force him to like some other pet, he may get depression or maybe get aggressive. And the other problem is when we want to take him somewhere, he just gets nuts, he scream and hiss and hit himself into the walls of his box and it just seems impossible for us to take him to the vet. Last week he got sick and we had to take him to the vet, he was actually very sick in the house and he wouldn't move that much but the second we set foot outside the house, he started screaming and hissing and the minute the doctor touched him while he was still inside the box,he started hissing at him and jumping up and down in the box and he broke 2 fingernails of his and he pissed and pooped inside the box from that much stress he was in,and it took 1 hour to shoot him with sedative and while he was anesthetized he was still hissing at the doctor and the doctor was very scared of him even though he knew him from before, he had came to our house for his vaccine 2 months before this happened. When he was little i used to take him to our friends house or my mom's and 1 time we took him to a vacation trip for 5 days and he was okay with all that as long as he wouldn't meet another pet (cat or dog) but when he turned 1 years old he became more and more stressed out about going outside the house and mostly the vet. I really need help, i want him not to be like this because it's gonna happen,the same situations like this and i don't want him to bother himself this much. I hate seeing him in pain. So please help me. Thanks

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: I guess my first question would be, is he neutered? If not, that could help calm him down a bit.

However, generally cats aren't good travellers, nor are they big on change.

And since they are territorial, just bringing another cat or dog into their home, is likely to cause defensive aggression or fear. When it is necessary for them to meet another animal, keeping them separated, with slow and careful introductions is the best way to ensure they will eventually get along.

And most cats seem to instinctively know when they are headed to the vet. Did your vet have any suggestions for calming him when he needs vet care?

Covering the carrier with a towel or small blanket might help. You could also try Feliway or calming treats. I haven't used either, but some people find they help.

Also, here's an article that suggests using gabapentin: Study: Gabapentin Reduces Stress in Cats Before Veterinary Visits

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yasika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for responding so quick :)
Yes he is neutered. And i read lots of articles about cat meeting new cats or dogs, we tried the slow introduction thing but it didn't work at last. How slow are we talking about? :) I mean I read somewhere that it's gonna take a month or so, but what about the times that your friend come to visit you for a few hours? Is he never gonna be okay with another animal?
And thanks for the blanket tip,I'll try that. His doctor said that if he is like this and he is gonna be so stressful, then don't bring him in for small causes like the Anti-Parasite pill and etc. But he didn't say anything about the other times :) Actually he was shocked by him, He just said maybe next time if he was available, call him to our house so he can check him up inside the house.
Thanks for the article i'll read it right now.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And i read lots of articles about cat meeting new cats or dogs, we tried the slow introduction thing but it didn't work at last. How slow are we talking about? :) I mean I read somewhere that it's gonna take a month or so, but what about the times that your friend come to visit you for a few hours? Is he never gonna be okay with another animal?
Slow introductions between cats and other animals usually take days, maybe weeks. Definitely not a few minutes or even hours. Therefore, if a friend comes to visit, it might be wise to leave their pet at home. Because even if you put your cat in another room during the visit, he's going to hear/smell the other animal. And once the strange pet has gone, and your cat is out in the rest of the home, he is going to smell everywhere the other animal was, and rub against everything to leave his scent. He could become aggressive, or even start spraying around the home to mark his territory, which you definitely do not want to happen.

Cats are all about smells and territory. We've had members who've had 2 cats that live together and are best friends, and had to take one of the cats to the vet. When the cat came home with the strange vet smell on them, the other cat didn't recognize them any longer, and became aggressive, and had to separate the cats and do re-introductions.
How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats

It's possible that the rare cat might be less territorial and be more open to other animals, but it doesn't sound like your cat is one of them.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In your cat's experience other cats are dangerous. He may well have believed he was going to die when the other cats attacked him. Let him have time to settle into his house, his safety there, and grow a little. Consider if the same had happened to you and you didn't know other 'people' weren't like the ones who attacked you. (Yes, he had a mother and siblings, but we don't know what happened to them, or if he saw it happen. Most cats fear the vet, stranger poking and stabbing them. Some cats have reasons to fear strangers.) This takes time.

Rubysmama has the information for introductions. patience is the key with cats.

Since he will have to go to the vet, I would make cushions from flannel and bunting (buy at craft stores, it's the stuffing from duvets) to fit on the sides top and bottom. Right, you'll be covering the air slits, but if it's winter where you are this should be okay. Also, cover the door. Sew the pillows into place. Use dental floss not thread. This should keep him from hurting himself on the carrier. When you get home, the pillows can be washed in the machine. Once dry, just mush the bunting around until it's flattish again.

Last edited:

yasika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Slow introductions between cats and other animals usually take days, maybe weeks. Definitely not a few minutes or even hours. Therefore, if a friend comes to visit, it might be wise to leave their pet at home. Because even if you put your cat in another room during the visit, he's going to hear/smell the other animal. And once the strange pet has gone, and your cat is out in the rest of the home, he is going to smell everywhere the other animal was, and rub against everything to leave his scent. He could become aggressive, or even start spraying around the home to mark his territory, which you definitely do not want to happen.

Cats are all about smells and territory. We've had members who've had 2 cats that live together and are best friends, and had to take one of the cats to the vet. When the cat came home with the strange vet smell on them, the other cat didn't recognize them any longer, and became aggressive, and had to separate the cats and do re-introductions.
How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats

It's possible that the rare cat might be less territorial and be more open to other animals, but it doesn't sound like your cat is one of them.
Yeah i guess I just have to accept the fact that he won't share his territory with another animal :)
Again thank you so much for answering and helping.
I will read this article and every article related to this subject on this site.

yasika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In your cat's experience other cats are dangerous. He may well have believed he was going to die when the other cats attacked him. Let him have time to settle into his house, his safety there, and grow a little. Consider if the same had happened to you and you didn't know other 'people' weren't like the ones who attacked you. (Yes, he had a mother and siblings, but we don't know what happened to them, or if he saw it happen. Most cats fear the vet, stranger poking and stabbing them. Some cats have reasons to fear strangers.) This takes time.

Rubysmama has the information for introductions. patience is the key with cats.

Since he will have to go to the vet, I would make cushions from flannel and bunting (buy at craft stores, it's the stuffing from duvets) to fit on the sides top and bottom. Right, you'll be covering the air slits, but if it's winter where you are this should be okay. Also, cover the door. Sew the pillows into place. Use dental floss not thread. This should keep him from hurting himself on the carrier. When you get home, the pillows can be washed in the machine. Once dry, just mush the bunting around until it's flattish again.
Thanks you for answering. Yeah I know that the root of this problem is somewhere in those 45 days he was outside on the street and that's so sad because with humans you talk to them and it's just more easier, but with cats there only limited things you can do and you can never really know what's happening in their minds :)
I will wait and make better environment for him :)
And thanks for the cushions tip, I will absolutely try that.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Time, time and the consistent experience that he isn't attacked will help. Okay, he'll think he's attacked at the vet, but the fact that you bring him home to his safe place will make all the difference. Some think cats sulk after going to the vet, I think they are just recovering from the stress, not blaming you. At most they think you had an episode of madness, and are now okay.

Some day, in the future, maybe a few years from now, another cat will stumble into your lives and your little one will be pleased to see him/her. Be patient.

Cats aren't like dogs and children, they aren't keen on play dates. My alpha male (Fixed) who had decided we didn't need any more cats and was forceful about it, allowed us to rescue and keep a sick stray who was in dire need. They didn't become friends, but my boy didn't attack him, just let him be.

You are doing wonderful things for this little one.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah i guess I just have to accept the fact that he won't share his territory with another animal :)
Not necessarily. I don't think he'll ever be thrilled with a short visit with another animal, but with a careful introduction, he might surprise you and love having another cat for a buddy. I'll post the links to the cat introduction articles, so you can read them and see how you would go about it, in case another cat happens to find its way to you.

BTW, is that cute kitty in your profile pic your cat?

https://thecatsite.com/ams/your-sec...ully-introduce-cats-the-ultimate-guide.32680/
Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
The Multi-cat Household

yasika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Time, time and the consistent experience that he isn't attacked will help. Okay, he'll think he's attacked at the vet, but the fact that you bring him home to his safe place will make all the difference. Some think cats sulk after going to the vet, I think they are just recovering from the stress, not blaming you. At most they think you had an episode of madness, and are now okay.

Some day, in the future, maybe a few years from now, another cat will stumble into your lives and your little one will be pleased to see him/her. Be patient.

Cats aren't like dogs and children, they aren't keen on play dates. My alpha male (Fixed) who had decided we didn't need any more cats and was forceful about it, allowed us to rescue and keep a sick stray who was in dire need. They didn't become friends, but my boy didn't attack him, just let him be.

You are doing wonderful things for this little one.
Aw how nice of him :*
Sure I'll wait and see :) Hoping for the best

yasika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not necessarily. I don't think he'll ever be thrilled with a short visit with another animal, but with a careful introduction, he might surprise you and love having another cat for a buddy. I'll post the links to the cat introduction articles, so you can read them and see how you would go about it, in case another cat happens to find its way to you.

BTW, is that cute kitty in your profile pic your cat?

https://thecatsite.com/ams/your-sec...ully-introduce-cats-the-ultimate-guide.32680/
Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
The Multi-cat Household
Again thank you so much, I'm so happy that I've found his website, I learned a lot and so thankful to have found you guys :)
Yes this is him :) His name is makhmal (Farsi name) it means Velvet in english, because he is so warm and soft like the velvet :)