Cat Anxiety/stress At Night Question

skicow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! My cat, Zippers, is nearly 12 years old. She has a nervous disposition generally, but since seeing a cat outside (2 nights in a row about a month ago), she has become obsessed with staring out the windows during the night to see if any animals are in the backyard. We live out in the country with 2 acres of land. We had to put opaque cling on the back patio doors so she wouldn't sit and look all night out of them. Now she only has one window she can look out. And she does nightly. I already have two Feliway plug ins going (we always had one going but I added another recently). During the day she seems fine (of course she mostly sleeps). Is there anything else I can try to help reduce her stress? Any suggestions are welcome!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am willing to bet that the cat Zippers saw awhile ago is still in and about the area, and she knows it. She has probably seen it - or sensed it - more times than you know.

If she insists on looking out whatever window you don't cover, is there any reason to cover the back patio doors? Is she acting more stressed by being able to look out those doors than how she behaves looking out the window?

She is 12 and therefore a senior cat. And you didn't mention it, so I am going to suggest that she should have a full senior check-up including a full blood panel, just to ensure there is nothing about her health that is elevating her stress.

And, since Feliway doesn't appear to be working the way you want, have you tried other calming products (e.g.; Bach Rescue Remedy drops that can be rubbed into a cat's ear for a calming effect)?

If she is an indoor only cat, you might want to consider using cat repellent products around the yard - at least close up to your house. Here is an article on some different things you might be interested in trying.

10 Ways to Keep Cats Out of Your Yard

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
My boy does this as well. One thing with him is that he gets supervised time in the backyard and I've noticed he'll ask to go out, so he can "go" so he marking his territory and it seems to help his stress a little.

For your kitty, would you be able to take her outside in a harness/leash so she can investigate?

Also try a motion activated sprinkler depending on where you are, or spray cloths with citrus scented furniture polish and scatter those around outside to help deter the wanderers ( they'll need to be refreshed now and then).

Harness And Leash Training For Cats

Also can you use music? There's MusicForCats . com, or an app called Relax My Cat that may help ease her stress.

You, Your Cat And Stress

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skicow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I am willing to bet that the cat Zippers saw awhile ago is still in and about the area, and she knows it. She has probably seen it - or sensed it - more times than you know.

If she insists on looking out whatever window you don't cover, is there any reason to cover the back patio doors? Is she acting more stressed by being able to look out those doors than how she behaves looking out the window?

She is 12 and therefore a senior cat. And you didn't mention it, so I am going to suggest that she should have a full senior check-up including a full blood panel, just to ensure there is nothing about her health that is elevating her stress.

And, since Feliway doesn't appear to be working the way you want, have you tried other calming products (e.g.; Bach Rescue Remedy drops that can be rubbed into a cat's ear for a calming effect)?

If she is an indoor only cat, you might want to consider using cat repellent products around the yard - at least close up to your house. Here is an article on some different things you might be interested in trying.

10 Ways to Keep Cats Out of Your Yard
Thank you for the response! We thought that by covering the back doors it would help her in that she would no longer be able to just sit and look out the patio doors all night. She seems to be a little less stressed about the window. We actually haven't taken her to the vet in a few years. The last time we took her she was a mess...the vet tech said she was very difficult to examine! She is an indoor only cat so the yard repellent products may be a way to go.

skicow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boy does this as well. One thing with him is that he gets supervised time in the backyard and I've noticed he'll ask to go out, so he can "go" so he marking his territory and it seems to help his stress a little.

For your kitty, would you be able to take her outside in a harness/leash so she can investigate?

Also try a motion activated sprinkler depending on where you are, or spray cloths with citrus scented furniture polish and scatter those around outside to help deter the wanderers ( they'll need to be refreshed now and then).

Harness And Leash Training For Cats

Also can you use music? There's MusicForCats . com, or an app called Relax My Cat that may help ease her stress.

You, Your Cat And Stress
Thanks for the response! Your idea about the rags with polish on it is great....any polish you recommend? how far apart should they be? I assume they will need to be weighted down?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Depending on how windy you are, weighting them could be helpful.

About 10-15 feet I think

I have Pledge and Old English, they're both pretty smelly but I noticed that there are dollar stores that carry lemon scented furniture polish which might be worth a try :)
I got this grand idea from Jcatbird Jcatbird :thumbsup:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We actually haven't taken her to the vet in a few years. The last time we took her she was a mess...the vet tech said she was very difficult to examine!
If the Bach Rescue Remedy drops help her, you could use them for a vet visit as well - a lot of people report success with them to help calm down their cats a bit in preparation for a vet visit.

skicow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If the Bach Rescue Remedy drops help her, you could use them for a vet visit as well - a lot of people report success with them to help calm down their cats a bit in preparation for a vet visit.
do you recommend putting the drops in her food or directly on her?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have this experience with all my cats! Lol They know when something is outside. Everything from a frog to a raccoon. I’m betting it is a cat but you can also mark the yard for her by taking a small bit from her litter box and placing it outside. That marks the territory for her. It may not run another critter offf though. The scent of orange or lemon is something that many animals don’t like. Cats tend to leave the area. If a male is coming around spraying then your baby would definitely be upset by that. Poor kitty. If you have any patio furniture under windows outside, you might move it away. The raccoons are bad about looking in the windows if they sense cat food inside or even just get curious about the cat in the window. I have a few kitties that stay far from the front windows at night as a raccoon wanders the yard and it scared them. I’ve covered the windows but they still know it’s out there. Moving furniture out from the window helped.
One thing about a couple of my cats, they think they are guarding the house. I think it’s more that they are being vigilant guards than being scared. When I see them standing at attention, I find that if I go outside and make a little noise, whatever animal is out there leaves. When I return the cats check out the window and listen for a bit but then relax again. Who needs a watchdog when we have our sweet kitties to tell us what’s going on? I hope your kitty relaxes and the critter outside stops coming around.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
If she isn’t yowling at the other cat or marking the doors by urinating, I think it is just fine if she stays up and watches for the visiting cat. She likely finds it very entertaining and if it is doing no harm, why not let her.

skicow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If she isn’t yowling at the other cat or marking the doors by urinating, I think it is just fine if she stays up and watches for the visiting cat. She likely finds it very entertaining and if it is doing no harm, why not let her.
Well, as long as she doesn't see anything she won't yowl or generally lose her s***, which is what we're trying to avoid. But if she sees something she gets very upset.