Cat And New Kitten Not Getting On

Lucylee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please help my fiancé got me a new female kitten 3 months old. My resident cat also female 4 yrs old keeps hissing and swatting kitten. It’s been over a month and they don’t seem to like each other

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hissing and swatting is one thing, but what do they do other times? Does it start the second they see each other and not stop until you separate them? THEN it is an issue. If they hiss and swat here and there, but also eat and sleep near each other with no problem, and sometimes pass each other in the room and not care too much, then no worries, it is all totally normal and fine. Cats talk, they are vocal, they let the other cat know they are the tough one. They need to do this and work it out. If this really bothers you you can try Feliway or calming collars.

It becomes an issue if you have inappropriate urinating, one cat hiding all day long in fright and not eating, things like that. That is when it gets serious.

Monk'sMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hissing is actually okay, as in "don't come too close too quickly, respect my space." There are much worse reactions. Swatting (without claws) is often an older mammal's way of "training" a younger one to respect boundaries. If most of the time the boundaries are kept and there is no initiation of aggression, your two ladies are fine, and will be finer when the little one gains some size. They may not be love-birds ever, but they will accommodate.
Our four year old neutered male had injured the small young newcomer female, and I kept them separate when I was on onboard to watch. It's gotten MUCH better, *five months* (phew!) later. I predict it won't take that long for yours.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate to say this, but everything sounds normal to me. Don't expect them to be overnight best buds... that may never happen. It may take 6 months or more for them to become friends. More than likely your kitten is annoying the snot out of your resident cat & she is hissing at her to tell her to leave her alone. Also adult cats bat at the kittens, without using their claws, to teach them manners. I wouldn't worry about it. I would give your resident cat some kitten free one on one time each day :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lucylee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your help. It’s on sight mainly the resident older female hisses at the kitten. I keep them in separate rooms. Older female comes and goes as she pleases outdoors, but sits at the back door and hisses through the glass at the kitten. The kitten has begun to urinate outside the litter tray. Twice on the chair my older female used to sleep. And today in the living somewhere Older female will not enter the room kitten is in. I just don’t want to stress or upset either kitty.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give the kitten more litter boxes? I know sometimes cats will guard a litter box. Or a wee kitten might not be able to make it in time. I think though that your kitten may be stressed.

I would suggest re-introducing them. Which means neither cat sees each other for a couple of weeks. I would let them have run of the house for half the day (just be sure to put the cat locked in the cat room in a crate before you open the door. You could even cover the crate with a towel so they can't see each other at all.) Spend times with both cats & feed the cats close to the doors. It will give your cats more time to get used to each other.

*I didn't let my resident cat teach the new kitten manners. TWELVE years later they are still squabbling over the pecking order. They don't hurt each other ... it is just my punk (was the new kitten) annoys my other cat, all the time!!! He jumps his brother and nips him between the shoulders when he gets bored.