Cat and mouse concern

catsandmusic70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem with their cat. About two weeks ago, my cat Henry and I were watching TV when he jumped up and ran into the kitchen, where he's basically been hanging out from midnight to 8 AM every day since.

Last Thursday I got home from work and walked in the door to find a dead mouse on the living room floor, Henry resting peacefully next to it , but also looking very proud.

I've looked everywhere and cannot find the source of the mice, but I have placed peppermint oil in strategic places and apparently they have not visited again.

Henry continues to camp out in the kitchen from midnight till at least 8 AM in the morning, determined that something is underneath the paneling of my dishwasher and garden cupboards.

Henry is usually my TV buddy; we watch TV together every night and he comes to bed and stays with me almost every night or at least he did until two weeks ago.

I am at a loss as to what to do and I can’t figure out why he’s so obsessed unless there really are still nice in the paneling and I’m just not seeing them. I miss hanging out with my cat so much.

The only plus side is he seems more stimulated and less bored than he sometimes has been in the past and he is more trim because he’s moving around a lot, as he runs whenever he is away from the kitchen and thinks he hears something.

If anyone has any suggestions on what is going on or if you’ve had this happen with your cat I would love to hear from you.

Also: is my placing peppermint oil spray in strategic places hurting my cat?

Thank you for any advice or input!

Angie

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
track/follow observe your cat to find what area he is most focused on. he is most likely smelling and hearing the sounds rodents make that your unable to the squeaks,chewing,movement etc. a mouse/rat can pretty much fit past any hole/ crack its head can pass. also if your able to you might want tp pull any heavy appliances away from the walls flip em on the sides take a peekunder themyou would be surprised where rodents decide to nestand how agile they can be. i remember watching in surprise a rat sliding down head first from the water heater pipeto get into my garage then run across the rafter beams and jump onto some shelving to raid the dog food container we kept in there

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsandmusic70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your input and for sharing things I hadn’t considered!! I accidentally posted my original thread before I meant to and I apologize for my typos.

Another question I had, but didn’t post is:

how concerned should I be that my cat killed a mouse? If he does kill another mouse, does that increase his exposure to the germs and diseases mice carry?

I’ve lived in my place for 24 years and this is the first time I’ve ever had mice visit so that is adding to my really worrying. My biggest concern is my cat’s well-being.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
should I be that my cat killed a mouse? If he does kill another mouse, does that increase his exposure to the germs and diseases mice carr
best to ask your vet and make sure the hunter is current on all shots vaccines etc. :biggrin:hope he doesnt start gifting you trophies on your bed/pillow for you to wake up to in the mornings