Cat And Eye Issues?

taynicole13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just introduced a new kitten into my household that already has a two year old tortoise shell. She was perfectly healthy when I introduced him and he was up to date on his shots and he was healthy too. Last night I noticed her left eye was watering. This morning I checked it again and she looked like she was having trouble opening it. Just now I got home and it seems to be swollen shut. I'm going to call in the morning and schedule a vet appointment, but I am very worried. Do you guys know what it could be? Should I wipe her eye with a warm wet rag?

Attachments

caro123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
warm wet cloth should be fine, until you get her to the Vet. You didn" t say where you got the kitty from.Has she been seen by a vet yet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taynicole13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
warm wet cloth should be fine, until you get her to the Vet. You didn" t say where you got the kitty from.Has she been seen by a vet yet?

I got the kitten from a rescue shelter. He's been seen by a vet and he had fleas and worms, but he's been treated for both and I didn't take him into my house until a week after the treatment. I checked before I took him in and the fleas were gone. My older cat was taken to the vet a week before I got the kitten and I was told she was very healthy. Do you think she could've gotten either of those from the kitten?

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's possible the eye thing could be a bug from the kitten, but if there was no contact until the kitten was clear of fleas and worms, it's very unlikely they still had those. If the eye thing is a bug, it is likely to be a pretty simple thing like conjunctivitis. Unfortunately, things like this do pass around shelters, and it's not always totally avoidable. It's part and parcel with a constant influx of new animals coming in. But hopefully it's something easily resolved. If your vet does suspect something transmittable, they will likely want to treat the kitten too.