cat always wags tail

kanc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is about nine years old and she wags her tail all the time, non stop. The only time she does not wag her tail is when she is asleep, but otherwise that tail is always moving, I think she does it subconsciously. She doesn't like people touching it too. The vet said that he had never seen anything like it. I don't have any problems with her but I'm just wondering if anyone has seen this in another cat.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat does this too. She is about 4 years old and I have had her for about 2 years...she is a shelter cat. She is always swishing her tail. Doesn't like it touched either. So, you are not alone!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I have two cats who are 16 months old, littermates, although I didn't get them at the same time. They both wave their tails a lot, but they're usually purring while they do it, so I haven't been too concerned. They don't mind having their tails touched. In fact, they don't seem to notice it at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kanc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can touch my cat's tail, but if I move it at all she meows and lets me know she doesn't like it. But if I touch her tail or just hold it in position she doesn't even notice. Also, while the tail is always moving, she doesn't curl it up, she just flicks it from side to side, or if she is sitting/lying down she bops it up and down on the carpet. The only time she curves her tail is sometimes when she sits or when she's asleep.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Oliver's 6 and always wags his tail... but I also touch his tail all the time too with no problems... you can tell the differences though from a relaxed "I'm just chillin" wag and "I'm way angry, don't come near me!" wag... I even got one of those Felix wall clocks cuz Ollie used to sit on the shelf in front of my window in college and his tail would go back and forth like the clock haha

Oliver also thinks he is part dog, so maybe that's part of the reason he's like that...

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A co worker of mine was just telling me yesterday how his friends cat 'wags' her tail alllllll the time! Guess some cats just do it alot.

sport

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sport 12 weeks, has wagged his tail alot since birth. He doesn't mind me touching it, it is bizzar though.

pinkmonkey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just adopted Champagne 2 weeks ago. She's 7 yrs old and wags her tail. She doesn't have issues with me touching it. But she also will go into a full point when she hears a noise. It twitches even faster if she's stalking something.

teeluv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, my cat constantly wags her tail all day long and when she sleeps she stops completely, I was wondering why she does this, she is 10years old

and sometimes she bangs her tail on the bed really hard. I don't know why she does this

kaysharna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I came across this thread because i just adopted a 10 year old cat and she constantly wags her tail, she doesn't mind me touching it, but some cats even ones that dont wag just plain dont like their tails being touched, its like their tummy's i guess some dont mind it some hate it. I have a feeling she was raised with dogs though because she shows some other dog manorisms like the way she droops her head down over the bed and just looks up at me and wags her tail, ans the way she just came into my arms for cuddles, and rested her head on my shoulder was more typical of dog cuddling than cat cuddling

akitty47

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat wags her tail (if sitting/laying down, otherwise just raise it) when I call her name or I talk to her. Or when she is eating and I lay my hand on her. Or when I pet her.

Sometimes I use her tail as a moustache...

AllieRae29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is always wagging his tail when hes walking. It's weird. He only recently started doing that a couple weeks ago, he doesn't seem to even notice really.

Annimation

We love our little Rachael, the Pretty Kitty
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat wags once when you say her name if she's sleeping or resting on a chair, just to let you know she heard you. When she walks she has it up when she wants to play and down when she's just relocating. When it is up in the air, the tip of it will flop back and forth as she wants. Normally, it does this when she wants to play or if you are talking to her and she responds with a flick of the tail.

When we take trips and come back, she is very vocal for about 3 or 4 days, complaining that she got no attention for too long. Then she calms down and just uses her tail again as a response to talking to her. She is very quite normally. If it weren't for her little bell on her collar, we wouldn't even know she's in the room most of the time. If she sees us get something she wants out of the fridge, she'll softly jump up on the side of your leg and paws at you till she gets a sniff of what you have. She's very picky though. The tail doesn't usually wag when she's concentrating on food.

She wags her tail at me when I first get up in the morning and walk into the kitchen. (I'm usually the first one up in the morning.) She's always showing her belly through the glass panes in the door and wagging her tail waiting to be let in from the back hall. First thing I do when I let her in is say "Hi, Pretty Kitty." and then I give her a couple of treats. Then she begs for lots of attention for a while, moving her tail back and forth.

Six Cat-Lady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a green-eyed tabby called Zaytunay that is mostly black with some grey markings. There are two very unusual facts about her: her whiskers are completely black and her tail is in constant motion except when she is asleep. One of her kittens, called Fudda, also moves her tail a lot, but not constantly and her other kitten, Emma, has whiskers that are half black and half white. All three are beautiful.