Cat Always Pukes I Car

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
one of my cats always pukes in my car when i have t take him places my boy in profile pic never has and enjoys it curious as to why you may think that is

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
In addition does he act frightened? If so you might look into calming products, there are sprays, treats and collars that could help him.

Also, for general times you could try some MusicForCats . com or there's an app called Relax My Cat :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Never had any cat throw up in a car, but none of them really liked it all that well either. Feeby tolerates it, but she is only in the car to go to the vet that is less than 5 minutes away. She did however pee once in her carrier (she did have a UTI though).

We even took Tawny (RIP) on a two day drive from Ohio to Florida and he did very well actually.

Gracie (RIP) on the other hand did poop in her carrier on a 2-3 hour plane trip. Yowz! That was the last plane trip she went on - for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
same reason some people get car sick and some don't. Just get a couple of hand towels or bath towels from the dollar store and put them in the bottom of his carrier. Have two more on hand to use when you come home. Most vets will clean your cat up for you if this happens. Oh, you ought to take a plastic bag to bring the barfed on towels home. Once through the wash with a white vinegar rinse will make them reusable.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my mom’s kittens/teen throws up in the car. Her brother (my cat) gets a little cat sick and does a distressed cry in the car if he eats wet food an hour or two before the cat ride. I have found with both cats not giving them wet food 2 hours before the trip reduces their amount of car sickness. The AC on and classical music on low volume doesn’t hurt!

I usually pull my boy’s wet food 3-4 hours before a car ride just to be safe. Then pull his dry food an hour before the trip. I bought some calming treats and he won’t eat them. I’m going to try crushing them and mixing them into a lil soup to see if he will eat it.
:goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well he tolerates it doesnt act super upset just starts making this loud weird cry then pukes minutes later

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can't control car sickness, it happens or not. I found if I didn't eat for 6 hours before riding in the car as a passenger it helped. Later when I learned to drive, that helped. Of course your cat can't drive and I don't understand why being the driver would help, but I've heard that it does. Time made a difference for me, I can now be a passenger with no problem.

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can't control car sickness, it happens or not. I found if I didn't eat for 6 hours before riding in the car as a passenger it helped. Later when I learned to drive, that helped. Of course your cat can't drive and I don't understand why being the driver would help, but I've heard that it does. Time made a difference for me, I can now be a passenger with no problem.

i guess its like if you are the one screetching on a chawk board its not as bad since you are making the sound lol

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Years ago I would take my cats with me when I’d go to my parents’ house for the weekend—a 45-minute drive. Teddy Bear would throw up every single time. The first time I drove over in the dark, though, she didn’t vomit. After that I always covered her carrier with a towel so she couldn’t see out, and she almost never threw up again. Worth a try with your cat!

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Years ago I would take my cats with me when I’d go to my parents’ house for the weekend—a 45-minute drive. Teddy Bear would throw up every single time. The first time I drove over in the dark, though, she didn’t vomit. After that I always covered her carrier with a towel so she couldn’t see out, and she almost never threw up again. Worth a try with your cat!
well it was dark last 2 times it happened

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was it cold? I mean was the temperature cold, if not did you have the a/c on? I found that cold helped a little. You might try freezing a small container of water, like the ones you get crumbled cheese in and covering it with a towel and putting it in his carrier. It annoys my vet, who insists she won't get hot. She does. He doesn't know my car which is far from new and the a/c doesn't really get to the back seat. His grandpa may have had a car the age of mine, him, no.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Was it cold? I mean was the temperature cold, if not did you have the a/c on? I found that cold helped a little. You might try freezing a small container of water, like the ones you get crumbled cheese in and covering it with a towel and putting it in his carrier. It annoys my vet, who insists she won't get hot. She does. He doesn't know my car which is far from new and the a/c doesn't really get to the back seat. His grandpa may have had a car the age of mine, him, no.
I’ve found the same, not necessarily for vomiting but for keeping the cats a bit calmer. Friends used to go from Ohio to Florida in the winter, and one of the cats would cry non stop for three days to the point of losing her voice. Once they started to keep the car cold, she stopped crying.