Cat Alopecia just missing fur.

suzystorb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My adult cat has developed an area of alopecia on her back. It's not red or scaly. She seems 100% healthy in every way and I do not see her paying any attention to this area. I hate to stress her out with the vet if I don't need to.
I would appreciate input from anyone with a similar issue.
Thanks

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A picture would really help. On two fronts...first, we can see the area, and even more importantly, YOU can keep track of it, see if it grows, shrinks, or otherwise changes. IF she will allow you to, try to measure it, as well.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It's possible she developed some type of allergy whether environmental, food related, etc. Here is an Article about skin conditions in cats that might be helpful: Skin Conditions In Cats – Cat Articles

If the condition does not improve it would be best to check with your vet. Since you mentioned you don't want to stress her out with a vet visit try calling them first and ask if you could send a photo.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

suzystorb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Can you share a pic of it? That could help some members see something they might recognize. Just a bit more info could help too. How old is she? Is she indoor/outdoor. How long has she had it? Any changes in her environment that coincide with the timing of the alopecia?
I will take a pic and post. She's about 6 y.o. indoor only and a very chill personality. We have three others, her brother and 2 other rescue kitties. It seems to have started about a month ago. Pics to follow, thanks kindly for your help.

suzystorb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So it's not super obvious, she's a diluted torty so she has many colors in her fur but it's definitely growing. Strange thing is there is zero redness or irritation visible. I never see her scratching, licking or paying any attention to the spot at all. no other symptoms whatsoever.
Thanks for your input

Attachments

suzystorb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
BTW, that's Daisy in my account pic so you can see the fur colors

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And you're right...the skin looks perfectly normal. You may have to have your vet take a look at that. Although it isn't ringworm (or not a typical presentation of it at all), there are other fungal infections that can cause hair loss, as well as environmental allergies, and even stress. This is just...not what one usually sees. Hair loss without itching, licking, etc, and NOT A SIGN of disrupted skin!

hihifufu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, this looks very much like what my cat has right now. Did you ever find out what was going on?