Cat allowed by the contract but got complaints

eshin7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new to the forum, just adopted my foster as the second cat of the house :)

This is supposed to be a celebratory day but I have a problem. I've moved to the current apartment in July and in the contract there is an addendum that says cats are allowed in the unit. However, the building itself is a no-pet building and I did have a concern over this. The problem occurred today when I got back from the shelter: There was a note under the door (which is for the entire building) which read 'suspected pet in the building' explaining that a pet was seen and if anyone sees it again they'll have to report it to the management. I am guessing one of the residents might've reported after seeing me with a carrier. I am now a bit scared since it's only been a month into the contract (a total of 2 years) and while they didnt really point to me on this if someone reports again I feel like they might try to make me remove my cats. I never had this issue before so I am now unsure what to do from now on - if anyone had a similar issue or a piece of advice, please help me out!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've moved to the current apartment in July and in the contract there is an addendum that says cats are allowed in the unit. However, the building itself is a no-pet building and I did have a concern over this.
Hi. IMO, you need to get clarity on what the addendum vs. the no-pet building means. If that were to mean that you would need to move to another building within the apartment complex, then so be it, but at least you would have management on your side by contacting them 'up-front' about this matter.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are in a state that recognizes Emotional Support Animals (ESA) and you have a mental health professional treating you for at least 30 days, you can keep your pet. If there is no nuisance or safety issues, you should be fine. I would ask property management to work with you, to start. Try to document all interactions - if in a public area where there's no expectation of privacy, you can record the conversation.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
in the contract there is an addendum that says cats are allowed in the unit. However, the building itself is a no-pet building
Many buildings will allow cats but not dogs. Perhaps this is the situation with your building but as others have said you need to speak with management and mention the addendum. Best of luck, please let us know what they say. :crossfingers:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm new to the forum, just adopted my foster as the second cat of the house :)

This is supposed to be a celebratory day but I have a problem. I've moved to the current apartment in July and in the contract there is an addendum that says cats are allowed in the unit. However, the building itself is a no-pet building and I did have a concern over this. The problem occurred today when I got back from the shelter: There was a note under the door (which is for the entire building) which read 'suspected pet in the building' explaining that a pet was seen and if anyone sees it again they'll have to report it to the management. I am guessing one of the residents might've reported after seeing me with a carrier. I am now a bit scared since it's only been a month into the contract (a total of 2 years) and while they didnt really point to me on this if someone reports again I feel like they might try to make me remove my cats. I never had this issue before so I am now unsure what to do from now on - if anyone had a similar issue or a piece of advice, please help me out!
I complained about someone parking outside thier garage next to mine but nothing could be done because it is not in thier addendum. Smoking is allowed but when I complained about my neighbors smoking inside the leasing office said that it's not allowed. The smoke was stinking up my apt and affecting the building. Since cas are allowed and not bothering someone, talk to the office. Show them the note

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I've moved to the current apartment in July and in the contract there is an addendum that says cats are allowed in the unit. However, the building itself is a no-pet building and I did have a concern over this.
I hope this has been resolved. The contract is confusing though. It says cats are allowed "in the unit" but the building is a "no-pet" zone. This has to be clarified. From what I understand tenants can keep pets, but the pets should not be allowed to roam in the building. If you are taking in and out your cat/s thru a carrier, this should not be an issue. And dogs should be in a leash when being taken in and out to for walks. But again, to ease your mind, better to talk to the person-in-charge.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Further legalities depend on where you live. For example, in Ontario, Canada the landlord can write a not pets clause, but it is void unless your rental is inside of the landlord's home and/or you share a kitchen or bathroom with the landlord or other tenants.

For example that clause is void in a regular apartment but would be valid if:
- you're in a rooming house where you rent a room and share communal areas
Or
- basement apartment of your landlord's home