Cat Allergy: What Are The Odds?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pip is our 6th cat, historically speaking. She is now around 7 months old. As our first medium hair cat (all the others were domestic shorthairs), she is shedding way more than we have ever dealt with in the past now that its warm. We swiffer every other day and get what feels like a pillows worth :(

Wife and I have always had allergies in the summer, but at least for me, it hasn't been this bad in many, many years. Wife is thinking it may be Pip. Tree pollen is high right now, but I seem to recall that for me its more of a ragweed thing. So I'm not ruling out the cat, although after 5 previous cats, not sure how likely that is.

I guess it doesn't really matter if it is her, not sure what could be done differently, but wondering if you think its likely and if there is a way I could tell. Should I sniff her for 10 minutes straight and see if I turn into a wreck? Wear the dirty swiffer pad like a necktie and see what happens? Make her hair into a sweater? In all seriousness, I would like to know, but I'm not sure how to figure it out. Not like sniffing her a bit and sneezing once would really prove anything. She isn't a lap cat, but likes to sit near me, and will come on the bed if I'm there. Not allowed to sleep with us though.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have a similar situation here. The two calicos I recently brought in are shedding much more than I remember and much more than my long term house cats. One loves to be brushed and the other finally gave in when I got a grooming glove. Both indoor only now. I am experiencing increased sneezing, itchy eyes, lots of kleenex use but feel fine....definitely not any illness. I did acquire adult onset allergies to polllen as verified by my eye doctor, so like you, I don't know if it is the new cats or just the regular pollen.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am sure it doesn't apply to every case, but my husband used to be somewhat allergic to cats, and now having been around them for years, he really isn't so much anymore. Not saying the reverse couldn't be true - in that, not-really-allergic and then after years becoming more allergic isn't a possibility, but seems illogical, IMO. Might just be the cat - some have more dander than others, that seems to act up more so during seasonal changes (Gracie - RIP - for example, who, btw, was a long haired cat).

There are a lot of things that have been worse this year (excluding COVID-19) - fleas, pollen, etc. Take whatever you can, medication-wise, and love on Pip (for as much as she will let you, or you will let her)!!