Cat Allergic To Fish

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been awhile since I have posted a thead on here. So my youngest house kitty, Mouse has had allergies to fleas for quite awhile, this year, we got the fleas under control. Then she started chewing her fur something awful, long story short, she is allergic to fish as well. So that pretty much eliminates any commercial diet. I've been feeding her Dr. Pierson's recipe of cat food with chicken, and I plan to do turkey variety as well. The only thing is I am leaving out the fish oil for obvious reasons. Do you think olive oil would be a reasonable substitute? I am trying to see how I might give her a bit of variety in her diet without upsetting her allergies. The Vet told me, she has not seen a cat with allergies as severe as Mouse's in her practice before.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
valentine319 valentine319 is successfully using a micro-distilled fish oil for her cat with severe fish allergies. She just went through a fairly detailed research to find out how different oils are processed and what would work. I hope she'll chime in here when she has a moment.

I would not use olive oil. The purpose of the fish oil is the Omega-3 content.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here are the brands. Iceland Pure Unscented Pharmaceutical Grade Sardine Anchovy Oil For Dogs and Cats.Bottle Size 8.75oz there's no vitamin D in the distilled fish oil. Iceland Health Maximum Strength Omega-3 - 1000mg Fish Oil - 500mg EPA-DHA Omega-3s - 30 Softgels
Micronized distillation removes the protein. There's still a possibility of an allergy to the oil but it's smaller.

Your next option is krill oil. This is the one i recommend. Pure Antarctic Krill Oil Capsules for Pets | All-Natural Omega-3 Fatty Acids Food Supplement w/ EPA DHA & Astaxanthin | Antioxidant Health Benefits for Dogs & Cats | More Potent than Fish & Salmon Oil Krill is a crustacean like shrimp which makes it an option other than fish. Unlike fish when the krill is distilled it keeps the vitamins A&D that naturally occur.