Cat Allergic to Corn

Scaredpersianowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I had an allergy test run on my cat. Seems she is allergic to many things, but relevant to this post is that she scored a low positive allergy to corn.

She has constipation issues so we started her on Royal Canin Gastrointestinal dry food. This food has helped her constipation immensely but it has corn gluten meal as an ingredient.

Along with the results, they sent me a list of foods she could eat. The other gastrointestinal food is the Purina En Gastroenteric kibble. I am not sure why they recommended that food as it also has corn gluten meal AND corn starch.

My question is, does anyone know if corn gluten meal would be the same as just corn? If she scored a Low Positive for this on the allergen test, should I still have it removed from her diet? I can’t seem to find any other kibble that does not contain corn meal or potato (which she’s also allergic to). I would love to keep her in a gastrointestinal diet as she has been doing so well with this food but I feel so lost. Doesn’t seem like anything doesn’t have corn!

Thank you very much for your time and guidance.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I'm a little confused. If she's doing well on that food, why are you still searching? I'd try to stay with the RC, -- do you have a means of communicating with the test organization so you could ask them why they suggested the Purina product?

Can you switch her to canned food, since it has more moisture? Pate styles have less ingredients that could cause sensitivity triggers.

Also there may be useful information in this;
Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake - TheCatSite

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked up different articles on it. Don't totally understand,but I think it's ok for your cat to eat as long as she doesn't throw up her food or get itchy. If you want to avoid it,use canned. Slowly mix with dry so she will start to like it. Try different textures. After stepping on my cats diaheria with with my bare feet, I totally understand if you want to stay with what works. As she gets older canned may be needed for her health

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Scaredpersianowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm a little confused. If she's doing well on that food, why are you still searching? I'd try to stay with the RC, -- do you have a means of communicating with the test organization so you could ask them why they suggested the Purina product?

Can you switch her to canned food, since it has more moisture? Pate styles have less ingredients that could cause sensitivity triggers.

Also there may be useful information in this;
Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake - TheCatSite
Hi there and thank you for your response, sorry for the confusion. The reason I am looking into it is because we just got back her test results and saw she is allergic to corn. She has some dandruff and has had gunky ears so we were wondering if it was the food that she was allergic to, she has been on this food for about a month and a half and she has never had dandruff before so we thought we would check it out. But she has had ear infections in the past due to her long hair. She doesn’t have an ear infection, but they are overly gunky at the moment.

I was thinking about reaching out to the testing organization to see if I could talk to them about how impactful cornmeal is to her specific case. She is a Persian cat and has the tiniest nose ever so our vet explained that she may not want wet food because she can’t smell it or she can’t breathe when she is eating it. We have tried so hard to give her wet food and she has rejected everything except for one tuna meal topper from Tiki cat and even then she will only eat half of a packet a day.

I really want to keep her on RC as it has helped her constipation SO much, but I am scared it may be causing allergies elsewhere. It’s hard to tell when she’s having allergies because she’s always congested with a runny nose/watery eyes due to her breed, so that’s why I found the dandruff to possibly be a sign of allergy.

Sorry for the long response and thank you so much for reading.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Scaredpersianowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I looked up different articles on it. Don't totally understand,but I think it's ok for your cat to eat as long as she doesn't throw up her food or get itchy. If you want to avoid it,use canned. Slowly mix with dry so she will start to like it. Try different textures. After stepping on my cats diaheria with with my bare feet, I totally understand if you want to stay with what works. As she gets older canned may be needed for her health
Thank you! I am trying so hard to get her to eat wet food. She has refused everything but a tiki cat meal topper and that’s the only wet food she will eat. She won’t even take Churru! I will continue to try to transition her but her breed is extremely difficult (Persian).

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I am trying so hard to get her to eat wet food. She has refused everything but a tiki cat meal topper and that’s the only wet food she will eat. She won’t even take Churru! I will continue to try to transition her but her breed is extremely difficult (Persian).
My cat Coco is a mixed breed I am guessing. She has a small face . Like most persians, she can only eat on a flat whisker free bowl,plate, or cookie sheet. No elevated. She is only able to eat pate. smooth pate is her favorite. Her teeth are fine.