cat all of a sudden peeing out of litter box dont know why

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
so one of my kitties who is about two and a half years old (we have a total of four, two are older, and the little guys are brothers). has twice in the last couple months, just started peeing right in front of us in the family room. I don't think she is mad or anything not spraying, just jumps on a blanket and starts peeing. thankfully it has been on a blanket and while we are home, but i cannot figure this out. is she just playing so much she forgets and its too late? there is not a litter box super close, but we have four, and they are always clean. any thoughts would be appreciated.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
First thing I would do is a vet visit to rule out a UTI. Sometimes cats avoid the box if they associate it with pain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yes, we are considering that. its weird though, he did it last night, and the last time was almost two months ago. hes a funny little kitty, and he actually loves to jump in the litter box and go while i am nearby cause he thinks hes being so good, which of course is do to me telling him hes a good boy every time he does it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Could he be seeking your attention at those times? Maybe he doesn't correlate your "good boy" with peeing in the box, but rather with peeing in general when he is looking to receive some petting/cuddling/etc. and praise from you?

He also could be forming crystals in his urinary tract and passing them at those particular times, enough to bother him to go away from the box when it is happening. A urinalysis just to see if he has sediment/crystals in his urine might not be a bad idea. It may not be a UTI just yet, but if they find crystal sediment it might an indication that his water intake needs to be increased to help flush out his urinary system and reduce sediment production.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
This may be helpful: