Cat aggressive toward me (her favorite person) after getting second cat

kygen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the long post, but I feel like there are a lot of possible variables at play here.

My girlfriend and I got our resident cat Sass almost a year ago, and she's about 14 months now. I'm her clear favorite. I'm the only one she wants to play and cuddle with. However, I realized she's a very social cat and gets depressed when no one is home with her (we work), so we decided to get a second cat to be her friend.

Enter Gene. She's a resocialized feral we adopted from a pound 3 months ago, making her about 7 months now. We've been slowly introducing the two, and we've been trying to take it extra slow because Sass weighs at least twice as much as Gene and is the most muscular cat I've ever seen in my life, and we don't want Gene to get hurt. So we started with basic scent exchange, then we started feeding them on other sides of a door and slowly getting them closer to each other and then we started opening the door, and once they were comfy with that, we started taking Gene out in her carrier so they could interact more. Finally, a little over a month ago, we were able to have them be around each other for short amounts of time without anything separating them, and both interactions went surprisingly well but had to be cut short because Gene would sniff Sass on the nose, bap her lightly on the head, and then turn her back on Sass (kinda like she was expecting to be chased). The behavior appeared to be playful, but it seemed to agitate Sass, so we'd quickly separate the two of them once it started. Still, it seemed we were making good progress.

But the more time goes on, the more aggressive Sass is getting, and not just to Gene, but to me. After Gene got fixed, it's like Sass (who is also fixed) regressed all of a sudden and has started attacking Gene through the door and attacking me for interacting with Gene. I think part of the issue is that Gene usually lives in my gf's room, but after the surgery, we moved her to my room because I took time off work to watch her. But my room is Sass' favorite place to be. Gene has since been moved back to my gf's room, but weirdly, the aggression didn't start until AFTER Gene was moved back to my gf's room.

Some examples of the aggression: I cracked Gene's door to make sure she was okay, and when I shut it (without even going in) Sass jumped up to claw my hand that was on the door knob, leaving deep gashes. After playing with Gene and then playing with Sass, I tried to pick up Sass (which she's usually fine with), and she bit me hard enough to draw blood, even though my shirt. I put Gene in a carrier to take her to the vet, and when we got home, Sass made an angry cat sound, charged me, and shredded my calf, leaving gashes and even bruising. She's done attacks similar to these three about a dozen times total in the last month.

Incidents like these are becoming more and more common, and I'm not sure what to do. And what's weird is that we've previously had successful short interactions with the two cats existing in the same room with zero aggression, and Sass isn't aggressive with my gf or anyone else at all. It's just me, her favorite human, and only after I interact with Gene. And what's really weird is that they can still eat basically side by side (through a cracked door) with no issues. And there's no hissing or growling or anything before most of these attacks. Sass will be dead silent with no warnings (whiskers and ears will be in a neutral position and she does no hissing, growling, spitting, puffing up, back twitching, tail swishing, etc.) before the attack. At most, she'll breathe a couple times in this loud and heavy way (not really a spit, just very loud breathing) a few seconds before attacking me, but even that's rare.

After the last attack I detailed above (almost 2 weeks ago), I went out and got a feliway multicat diffuser. It seemed to work well enough, but Sass has still attacked me twice since getting it, including once today. They've at least been less violent and less frequent attacks, but still. Before we got Gene, Sass showed zero signs of aggression other than being a bit rough when playing, but it was obviously playful, and saying "ow" would make her immediately stop and walk away. Neither of those things are true for this new behavior. And even after all these attacks, she still treats me as her favorite human, which is super confusing.

Is there anything we can do? Both my vet and local pet store have recommended calming treats, but the pet store said they can be kinda intense and they only recommend them if nothing else works. The vet also wants to examine Sass, to make sure a health condition isn't triggering this, and we're working on scheduling an appointment. But is there anything else we can do in the meantime to lower her aggression? And are there any ideas as to why she's acting this way?

MiatheKitty

Queen Mia
Young Cat
Purraise
don’t worry it’ll take time. My cat Mittens was like this when I got another male. Took him couple months to get used to him and now they love each other. Have you tried feeding them both in the same room, but far apart from each other?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kygen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
don’t worry it’ll take time. My cat Mittens was like this when I got another male. Took him couple months to get used to him and now they love each other. Have you tried feeding them both in the same room, but far apart from each other?
Based on how agressive Sass is now, we don't trust them to be in the same room. But we do feed them about a foot away from each other with a door opened 2-5 inches between them and with a person ready to shut the door is a problem arises. But weirdly, there are no issues during these feedings.

Random question, but how did you cope with your cat mauling you? It's starting to freak me out, tbh, and because of the number of times she's drawn blood while attacking me, I kinda don't wanna be around her as much, but I also still love her and don't want to ruin our bond. It's been rough, so if you have any tips on that, too, it would be appreciated.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know what introduction technique you are using, but maybe you can glean some additional tips from this TCS article (see link below)? I also included another article about why cats attack. Perhaps, reading through it will give you some clues as to why Sass is doing what she is doing. The biggest purpose in the second article is to assess what all is going on and see if that triggers any thoughts on your part relative to Sass. I will mention that if you have changed soaps, colognes, medications, etc, they can also prompt a response from a cat.
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Why Do Cats Attack? – TheCatSite Articles

MiatheKitty

Queen Mia
Young Cat
Purraise
Based on how agressive Sass is now, we don't trust them to be in the same room. But we do feed them about a foot away from each other with a door opened 2-5 inches between them and with a person ready to shut the door is a problem arises. But weirdly, there are no issues during these feedings.

Random question, but how did you cope with your cat mauling you? It's starting to freak me out, tbh, and because of the number of times she's drawn blood while attacking me, I kinda don't wanna be around her as much, but I also still love her and don't want to ruin our bond. It's been rough, so if you have any tips on that, too, it would be appreciated.
I would recommend checking out the link Feeby posted. I’ve never had that sort of problem to the extent of being mauled. If all else fails, I would highly recommend a cat behaviourist.

kygen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know what introduction technique you are using, but maybe you can glean some additional tips from this TCS article (see link below)? I also included another article about why cats attack. Perhaps, reading through it will give you some clues as to why Sass is doing what she is doing. The biggest purpose in the second article is to assess what all is going on and see if that triggers any thoughts on your part relative to Sass. I will mention that if you have changed soaps, colognes, medications, etc, they can also prompt a response from a cat.
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Why Do Cats Attack? – TheCatSite Articles
We've been using the steps in the link, but with a cracked door instead of baby gates.

No changes in meds or scented products.

From the link, the most likely thing that Sass is experiencing is redirected aggression, but what still doesn't make sense is that it's only me and no one else (even though my gf shares a room with and smells like Gene), and then Sass treats me just fine after attacking me. Like, she attacked me earlier today, but she's currently purring peacefully in my lap like nothing happened. And also, my gf enters and leaves Gene's room way more than I do and has never been attacked, even if Sass is lurking outside the door in a sort of hunter/stalking pose.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long are you post-surgery? Maybe the turn for the worse was non-recognition aggression.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Here's my two cents, based on the timing that I believe I'm reading, your thoughts in your latest post although artnj may have it (non recognition vs redirected), and also that your gf isn't included;

I think that Gene came home smelling like the vet, which translates to; all the other animals at the vet, and so did you.

I would try this, with either vanilla or raw coconut oil which is fragrant, on both cats and you, and use a dab on your palm or wrist for the next couple days if it looks like it's working;

From valanhb valanhb
You put a dab of vanilla extract under the chins, at the base of their neck (by the spine) and at the base of the tail (again, on the spine not the underside of the tail!) of all of the cats to make them smell the same. Cats recognize each other by scent, so if that kitty smells the same as "me", the he must be a friend. Kitty logic at it's finest.

This trick works when introducing cats into the household as well, or during a reintroduction after a redirected aggression event.

Also, it's possible that more calming products, and Cat Music might also help.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
From the link, the most likely thing that Sass is experiencing is redirected aggression, but what still doesn't make sense is that it's only me and no one else.
If that is the case, she has chosen you for her 'outlet' related to her aggression. I have heard of cases where redirected aggression can be selective - in that one cat may attack one of its 'roomies' and not others. It's no consolation in your situation, but it could be that she feels comfortable enough with you to vent her aggression toward you without fearing recrimination. Actually, it could be a favoritism toward you, or even jealousy to some degree. I have nothing to offer but to suggest you cleanse yourself of smells from the other cats, keep towels/blankets with her smell with you at all times. Just in case this article has any other information that you could apply to Sass' behavior.
Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do) – TheCatSite Articles

kygen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long are you post-surgery? Maybe the turn for the worse was non-recognition aggression.
Almost 3 weeks now. We kept them apart for a week and then resumed introducing them about 2 weeks ago, right about when the aggression started.

kygen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
Here's my two cents, based on the timing that I believe I'm reading, your thoughts in your latest post although artnj may have it (non recognition vs redirected), and also that your gf isn't included;

I think that Gene came home smelling like the vet, which translates to; all the other animals at the vet, and so did you.

I would try this, with either vanilla or raw coconut oil which is fragrant, on both cats and you, and use a dab on your palm or wrist for the next couple days if it looks like it's working;

From valanhb valanhb
You put a dab of vanilla extract under the chins, at the base of their neck (by the spine) and at the base of the tail (again, on the spine not the underside of the tail!) of all of the cats to make them smell the same. Cats recognize each other by scent, so if that kitty smells the same as "me", the he must be a friend. Kitty logic at it's finest.

This trick works when introducing cats into the household as well, or during a reintroduction after a redirected aggression event.

Also, it's possible that more calming products, and Cat Music might also help.
Definitely seems worth a shot. Thanks!

And cat music definitely works on Gene. I've never seen a cat get so entranced by music before. Sass, on the other hand, seems much less impacted, but we've also never tried playing anything while the two cats were interacting.

kygen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If that is the case, she has chosen you for her 'outlet' related to her aggression. I have heard of cases where redirected aggression can be selective - in that one cat may attack one of its 'roomies' and not others. It's no consolation in your situation, but it could be that she feels comfortable enough with you to vent her aggression toward you without fearing recrimination. Actually, it could be a favoritism toward you, or even jealousy to some degree. I have nothing to offer but to suggest you cleanse yourself of smells from the other cats, keep towels/blankets with her smell with you at all times. Just in case this article has any other information that you could apply to Sass' behavior.
Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do) – TheCatSite Articles
Makes sense. I suppose it's about time to deep clean my room anyway. Thanks!