Cat Aggressive Since Vacation

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wonder it some of the biting and scratching is that she is easily over stimulated right now. Try having a soft brush or toy larger than your hand (to shield your hand) in your free hand and pet her with the other. Hold infront of her face but not so close it scares. She'll have someplace to release her energy and still enjoy a pat.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you're right in not taking her with you. Almost all cats are hyper-dependent on their home territory for their security. Now, you do hear of the rare, bold pussycat who goes globe-trotting and rock climbing and camping and motorcycle riding and goodness knows what else, but....well, there's a reason those cats make the news! Most of our kitties are far happier at home surrounded by things that have soaked up their scent and therefor belong to them!

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Im sorry that happened-if that happened to me id be SO mad and worried for my cat. This is why i dont trust a pet sitter situation-im sure there are good ones, but how do you tell? With my old cat i boarded him. With boarfing i think it just is up to the individual cat, whether theyll be ok with it. Mine was, he was fine when he came home, they played with him daily and gave him treats. This was a while ago tho. That cat has since passed and i have a new one and will probably board her for my next trip (every 2-3 months a travel for a few days). As long as you do your research boarding can be a good option, depending if your cat tolerstes it. Maybe try an overnight trial run? The place i go is called Cat Camp here in San Francisco, andctheyre great.

I hope your kitty feels better soon :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JulesB86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It looks like you did find a reliable cat sitter for the future. Hopefully now that you are home and she is getting back into her normal routine she will settle into things. You are doing an excellent job of helping her to feel safe and loved. I am not surprised that she is looking for you when she wakes up. Her world was turned upside down and she just needs time to realize you are still her humans.

One thing that has probably been helpful with my cats is that my cat sitter interacts with my cats when she comes to visit when we are home. I would give your baby some time to settle back into her normal routine. Later it might be good if both of you spend some time around each other's cats when the owners are home. It is easier on the cats if they are comfortable with the sitter before you travel.
Great idea - we will try this more. She is definitely more comfy around our friend that spent time with her before than with that rotten sitter!! Even she didn’t like the sitter apparently :)

JulesB86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wonder it some of the biting and scratching is that she is easily over stimulated right now. Try having a soft brush or toy larger than your hand (to shield your hand) in your free hand and pet her with the other. Hold infront of her face but not so close it scares. She'll have someplace to release her energy and still enjoy a pat.
Yeah probably. I’m guessing she’s sometimes just trying to get attention too. She’s so clingy now also the poor girl.

I’ll def try the toy manoeuvre you mentioned, it’ll save on the scratches we currently have!! Thank you :)

JulesB86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think you're right in not taking her with you. Almost all cats are hyper-dependent on their home territory for their security. Now, you do hear of the rare, bold pussycat who goes globe-trotting and rock climbing and camping and motorcycle riding and goodness knows what else, but....well, there's a reason those cats make the news! Most of our kitties are far happier at home surrounded by things that have soaked up their scent and therefor belong to them!
Yeah I think she’s better at home. We have just adopted a little rescue kitty so hoping if they end up getting along she will have some company when we go away next month along with our friend calling in to visit! :)

Currently in the trying to introduce a new kitty process. It’s so hard!

JulesB86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im sorry that happened-if that happened to me id be SO mad and worried for my cat. This is why i dont trust a pet sitter situation-im sure there are good ones, but how do you tell? With my old cat i boarded him. With boarfing i think it just is up to the individual cat, whether theyll be ok with it. Mine was, he was fine when he came home, they played with him daily and gave him treats. This was a while ago tho. That cat has since passed and i have a new one and will probably board her for my next trip (every 2-3 months a travel for a few days). As long as you do your research boarding can be a good option, depending if your cat tolerstes it. Maybe try an overnight trial run? The place i go is called Cat Camp here in San Francisco, andctheyre great.

I hope your kitty feels better soon :)
Yeah we thought of boarding her but my husband hates the idea of her being concealed to a cage/small area. And it’s all about the money with these places - if you want her to have air conditioning or more space then they hike the prices too. Heard it’s stressful for the kitty too cause again she would be in a new space without all her smells etc.
I think we will try with the sitter again and hope for the best. Have our friend come twice per day and maybe a paid sitter for the third visit! :)

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Currently in the trying to introduce a new kitty process. It’s so hard!
It is, and you can only go as fast as the least comfortable cat! We have some good articles about cat introductions, jealousy, things like that. If you would like them, I'll be happy to post them for you. Just not sure how experienced you are with cat introductions!

JulesB86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is, and you can only go as fast as the least comfortable cat! We have some good articles about cat introductions, jealousy, things like that. If you would like them, I'll be happy to post them for you. Just not sure how experienced you are with cat introductions!
Not experienced at all! They are chasing each other around trying to hit and hissing too.
Yes please post any articles!! Thanks so much :)

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HAH! Those were the ones, plus a couple I had overlooked! You're in good hands now, and we can help fine-tune things as you go!

JulesB86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. She has become much more like her usual self over the past week. Still some biting etc but can only put that down to us having a new cat that is causing her a little bit of stress.
Anyways definitely some improvement. Thanks :) :)

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is the stuff we love to hear! Don't go away now that the issue is resolving, stick around and play! And don't forget...someone at some point is going to NEED what you have learned!

JulesB86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is the stuff we love to hear! Don't go away now that the issue is resolving, stick around and play! And don't forget...someone at some point is going to NEED what you have learned!
Aww thank you, you’re so kind. I will definitely be sticking around, loving this place. Never even knew it existed before!!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep, I'll bet 3/4 of our members come here first when they are trying desperately to find answers to an issue. I did. Hekitty had an acute pancreatitis flare-up, and I wanted information! Came, read, never left!